Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI SECURED VS DISCOVER SECURED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI SECURED VS DISCOVER SECURED

So been hiding behind curtain for quite sometime and finally registered(ALWAYS GREAT INFO ON HERE)  in the process of rebuilding was wondering if anyone with either of these two cards ( citi secued or discover secured ) which one is more likely to grow with good history in the short coming?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CITI SECURED VS DISCOVER SECURED

@Anonymous wrote:

So been hiding behind curtain for quite sometime and finally registered(ALWAYS GREAT INFO ON HERE)  in the process of rebuilding was wondering if anyone with either of these two cards ( citi secued or discover secured ) which one is more likely to grow with good history in the short coming?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sorry, I have not had either of these cards as a secured card but If I had to vote I would vote Discover(only because I have a current relationship with Discover  and so far so good). I actually started my journey with a Bank of America secured card which grew pretty steady after 1 year.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover and for me it isn't even a question. Not only does their secure card offer better rewards, it is also eligible for their double your cash back promo. I have had nothing put positive experiences with their customer service via phone and chat. 

While YMMV I can say for me Discover unsecured my card at 7 months and my limit through an instant approval grew over 400% to a credit line of $4500. 

Discover is also easy to work with to lower APR.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Citibank you know up front that the card will be secured for 18 months. Discover states they will automatically review your account, starting at 7 months, for the possibility of having the card become unsecured. Both are good about soft inquiry credit line increases (Discover seems to be more generous) once the card becomes unsecured; Discover has great customer service and you will earn cash back, including double cash back, your first year. Citibank is a MasterCard and should have far more accepance than Discover, especially, obviously, overseas. 

If your credit is borderline now, I'd go for the Discover card; it should unsecure more quickly and you earn rewards from the very beginning. 

Do you have any Visa or MasterCard cards? If not, it may be worth looking into getting both; or go to BofA for their secured card (secured for up to 12 months but many report being unsecured at 9 months). BofA will allow you to add Cash Rewards to a secured card. I am not sure if you burned BofA in the past but I would recommend them over Citibank unless you have this burning, itching desire to be in with them.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is the best secured card on the market; cash back rewards, double rewards after the first year, the possibility of graduating in 7 months make this the first choice. There customer service is top notch, there smart app is great. You can't go wrong!

Let us know what you decide to app. But im sure you will be Discovering "Discover".
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had the Citi secured for two weeks now as well as the open sky secured.. Open sky reports faster than anyone I've seen to the credit agencies but takes absolutely forever to post a payment to your account. Over 2 weeks.. Citi will graduate after 18 months as stated by others and so far I love the card and customer service. They gave me a chance when no one else would do I'm biased. But my opinion is that in short term discover is better due to the rewards and faster graduation but in the long run id say Citi has the better unsecured cards and it's hard to get in with them
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad that you asked this question. I wanted to add another card to my profile and contemplated between and eventually chose Discover because of the rewards and the possibility to graduate sooner. I'm in the garden now however I may get a citi secured if I am unable to get an unsecured card with them later on. But if you are just starting out I would go with Discover and that's based on my experience with them. Their customer service has been top notch. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.