Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI and BOA are forgiving...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI and BOA are forgiving...

Back in early 2008 I had a charge off with Citi Bank - Platinum card for about 2-3k. Also with BOA for 2k. 

I prefer and fly American Airlines regularly for years but was bummed that I could not have their credit card because of my old charge off (never bothered to apply since I burned them. It still appears as "paid in settlement" on my CBRs).

Then last night I said screw it and apped for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum select card... could not believe it, I received an instant approval for World MasterCard with $12,500 CL.

THEN I said okay let me knock on BOAs door now (my second 2008 charge off). I apped for a balance transfer card - 0% interest for 18 months - instant approval for $25,000 CL.

After 8 years both banks were forgiving of charge offs...  Is this typical?

Current EX: 713

Current Utl: 10%

Avail Rev Credit: $91,300  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CITI and BOA are forgiving...

I don't think that's typical - so congratulations, that's awesome!!

Message 2 of 9
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Back in early 2008 I had a charge off with Citi Bank - Platinum card for about 2-3k. Also with BOA for 2k. 

I prefer and fly American Airlines regularly for years but was bummed that I could not have their credit card because of my old charge off (never bothered to apply since I burned them. It still appears as "paid in settlement" on my CBRs).

Then last night I said screw it and apped for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum select card... could not believe it, I received an instant approval for World MasterCard with $12,500 CL.

THEN I said okay let me knock on BOAs door now (my second 2008 charge off). I apped for a balance transfer card - 0% interest for 18 months - instant approval for $25,000 CL.

Congrats! Am I wrong in thinking the charge off from 2008 should have or will be falling off by now?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negative info stays on credit reports for 7 years, so anything from 2008 should have dropped off credit reports by now. However, at least some banks also keep their own records of customers they had to send to collections, and those customers are blacklisted as a result, even many years later.

Message 4 of 9
NichelleN
Established Contributor

That's pretty awesome. Congratulations!!

More than enough credit.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations I had a charge off in 2013 from bank of America secured with a $300CL and balance went way over the limit to $667 and I settled for less than full amount along with my checking/savings account being closed for negative balance and overdraft fees it was disaster.

Anyways I opened a checking/savings account and apped in January of 2015 (2 years later) and I was instantly denied so I called for reconsideration and BAM!! I was Approved deposited $4,000 and in one year from that it graduated.it's the cash rewards
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen here on the forum... no this is not typical. I know BoA , Chase and Amex are known to "hold grudges".... until you pay what was owed to them. And they have you pretty awesome CL as well...

Not sure how you did it.... but CONGRATS!!!!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if it's typical, but it is awesome! Congratulations!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took citi 15 years to forgive me.....

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.