cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI is like an elephant (They never forget)

tag
12njoy
Super Contributor

CITI is like an elephant (They never forget)

I had a BK in 1993 in which CITI was included (3 cards/total approximately $4,200) charged off due to BK.  I called CITI one day to see what the totals were because I considered repaying. if I could.  The representative wanted payment then and there, as if the accounts were currently due.  Since the accounts were included in my 1993 BK, they are ancient history, to me anyway.  Not to CITI.  I decided to see if I'm on that magical listing with CITI and apply.  Not sure what CRA they use, but I believe it's Experian which has a security freeze.  I received the following message:

Step 3: Approval Status Application Received

Thank you for applying for the Citi ThankYou® Card.
We sincerely appreciate your interest and after carefully considering your application we are unable to approve your request. You will receive written notification with the reasons for the decision. If you have further questions once you receive the letter, please call us at the number listed.

I checked Experian and Equifax, no pulls from CITI.  Will check TU tomorrow when I can pull another report, but I doubt any CRA was pulled.  I would safely assume that there is such a list and I have made it.  Not that I'm proud of that.  I acknowledge my past mistakes and have finally learned from them.  I'm sure the letter will say something to the effect of my past accounts since the above didn't say "Pending further review".  Obviously, CITI is well within their rights to extend, or in my case, not to extend credit again. 

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CITI is like an elephant (They never forget)

Yes, that appears to be the case.  Citi, Chase, NFCU, BOA and definitely AMEX do have long memories.  However, there are instances in which some folks eventually are able to restablish a relationship with their past "burned" lender, but for other folks (even after 10+ some years) is still a no-go.

Message 2 of 52
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

AFAIK, if they were IIB they could not accept pyt. Others can correct me -bk is not my specialty.
Message 3 of 52
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

20 years is a long time. You would think they would have forgotten by now. Everyone makes mistakes.  Have you ever talked to them OP or recon?

Message 4 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@09Lexie and Fin,

I don't believe they could take the payment legally, but representative was prepared to take it.  I just called CITI and they said my application is pending due to freeze.  I won't be pursuing because I'm in the garden, so to speak.  On a side note, Chase was included in that 1993 BK.  They let me back in in March 2013 with the Chase Freedom after recon for $500.  I kept it for 6 months PIF then closed it in July.  Just applied and was instantly approved for Chase Slate a few days ago $2,500.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 5 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

Based on the call to CITI, maybe I'm not on the list afterall.  I won't proceed because I don't think my stats are sufficient for the card.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 6 of 52
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Any reason why you only kept Freedom open for 4 months?
Message 7 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Pat,

I'm going for a 3x CLI with Amex on 10/28/13 on my BCP.  Depending upon what happens there, I might unfreeze and attempt a recon (doubtful, but possible).

___________ 12Njoy
Message 8 of 52
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you are waiting on a CLI with Amex, I wouldn't be applying for a new card. Inq's/accts just lower your CS.
Message 9 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@09Lexie,

Only stupidity on my part.  I asked for a CLI and they said they had to do a HP and I said no thank you and closed card.  I couldn't really do much with $500 CL based on how I use my cards.  I basically pay all my bills with my cards and then when I am paid, I pif all credit cards.  I only use 30% or less of available credit and pif before statement cuts so the $500 really wasn't working for me.  At that time, I didn't have the Discover or Amex cards.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.