cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI is like an elephant (They never forget)

tag
Xer0_SiN
New Contributor

Re: CITI is like an elephant (They never forget)

lol good luck with yours. with your profile, citi would be in the back of my mind Smiley Wink. for me im ok with my current situation and enough is really enough (right about now). but i have that allure of amex in my eye. i want a piece of that pie. luckily for me, they dont decline me for high inquiries, its my charge offs (all paid) that will fall off in the next couple months Smiley Happy.
NFCU Cash #1: 15000, NFCU Cash #2: 15000, USAA Plat: 10000, USAA AMEX: 10000, Local CU #1: 7500, Chase Hyatt: 5000, NASA FCU: 5000, SDFCU: 5000, FNBO: 5000, Militarystar: 4700, Chase Militarystar: 4700, Local CU #2: 3000, Chase Ink Classic: 3000 Zales: 2700 Discover IT: 1500, GE Amazon: 1400, GE Walmart: 1400, Target: 500, GE Dillards: 300
NFCU LOC: 15000, Local CU LOC: 3000
Message 31 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Xin,

I would trade you profiles in a minute for the NFCU alone

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 32 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

It's true, once you're in with Amex, You're in.  I racked up four cards all within 45 days.  I don't think any other creditor would have done that for me and my profile.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 33 of 52
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Lol did Chiti violate the law?
Surprise, surprise!!!!!

Citi didn't violate the law.  They can provide anywhere from 1 to 4 reasons based on scoring and other factors and are still compliant.  They can also cite economic trends, or any other reasons, etc.  I know you have some bittter taste on your recent experience, but not everyone sees that with Citi.

Message 34 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@FinStar,

What type of chances do you think I have in getting back in?

___________ 12Njoy
Message 35 of 52
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@12njoy wrote:

@FinStar,

Honestly, it's hard to say.  You do appear to have a very robust TL profile given what's listed in your siggy, but one thing about Citi (even for folks that had accounts IIB), one factor that typically "helps" is having scores north of 700.  You're well on your way so it's one of those things that if it doesn't happen this time around, there's always that next opportunity.  But, I wouldn't give up if you really want a relationship with Citi.

Unfortunately, no one really knows what internal criteria flags some individuals from falling through the cracks and getting approved while others continue getting declined after so many years.

Message 36 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@FinStar,

Thanks for your thorough opinion. This is what makes these forums so useful.
___________ 12Njoy
Message 37 of 52
enharu
Super Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

@FinStar,

It's really hard to predict.

Even the bank's analysts will be unable to provide you with a definite answer. Banks keep their blacklisting policies under wrap for many reasons, including abuse. There's little to nothing an analyst can do to override and take you off the blacklist either. 

My guess is that it depends to the type of debt you had, amount of money you burned them for, and the time it has been since it happened. Some people get off the blacklist after 1-5 years, but some others continue to be blacklisted even after 2-3 decades.

Paying back the bad debt usually is a good way to get off the blacklist, but its by no means guaranteed. You also have to evaluate whether it's worth repaying them back just for you to have credit card(s) with them again.

@FinStar wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Lol did Chiti violate the law?
Surprise, surprise!!!!!

Citi didn't violate the law.  They can provide anywhere from 1 to 4 reasons based on scoring and other factors and are still compliant.  They can also cite economic trends, or any other reasons, etc.  I know you have some bittter taste on your recent experience, but not everyone sees that with Citi.

+1. Precisely.

It's not Citi's fault just because they took adverse action against you. They're obviously not the odd one out because Barclays and GE did the same. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 38 of 52
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@12njoy wrote:
@FinStar,

Thanks for your thorough opinion. This is what makes these forums so useful.

Now, one thing for sure though, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.  It hasn't been officially "declined" nor approved so.  Citi can be surprising sometimes.  Assuming it is declined but for other reasons and the past experience with them is not mentioned, then it would appear you have the likelyhood of a future relationship with them.  All things considered, I would work on getting those scores to an optimal range above 700, minimize/avoid HPs or new accounts, keep utilization in check and just let everything age naturally.  Of course, if they approve you, then we will see an update on this thread either way.  Let's hope you get approved.

Message 39 of 52
12njoy
Super Contributor

@FinStar,

Again, thanks.  I think what will hurt me is the number of new accounts in past 6-9 monts (9) of which 4 were opened in last 3 months.  The key would be to do it before Chase and Discover start reporting.  I'll be mulling it over for the next week and decide on 10/28/13 when (afterwards) I go for my Amex 3x CLI.  I'll definitely stop back here and update approved, declined or decided not to go for it.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 40 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.