CIti Financial Review

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Citi Financial Review

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I spoke with them they told me your card is suspended for 30 days because of that large purchase. I was planning to pay it off as soon as it would have posted.

All is good.

C'est la vie, how the french would say.

"Your card is suspended because you used it." 

Makes perfect sense. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe my failure to get back in with Citibank isn't as terrible as I think. Smiley LOL

Exactly what I said. My mistake was that I did not called them to let them know that I will make a large purchse. I have also got Chase, Capital One and whenever I would make a large purchase they would just send me an email asking me to verify if I made the purchase. 

That is strange, indeed.  Was there anything 'odd' about the declined charge other than being large? 

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure (and can be other reasons) they just wanted to make sure you have the income to back up your spending and not bail out.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I spoke with them they told me your card is suspended for 30 days because of that large purchase. I was planning to pay it off as soon as it would have posted.

All is good.

C'est la vie, how the french would say.

"Your card is suspended because you used it." 

Makes perfect sense. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe my failure to get back in with Citibank isn't as terrible as I think. Smiley LOL

Exactly what I said. My mistake was that I did not called them to let them know that I will make a large purchse. I have also got Chase, Capital One and whenever I would make a large purchase they would just send me an email asking me to verify if I made the purchase. 

That is strange, indeed.  Was there anything 'odd' about the declined charge other than being large? 

I don't think so. The purchase was for $1,020 and it was one of the first transcations (I had some small transcations like for gas and dining before this one). I think they thought this would be my regular spending on a $5,0000 CL. Otherwise I don't know. 

Here are some data, not sure if this counts or not.

7 inquires in the past 24 months

6 new accouints in the past 24 months (2 AU) - Citi will be my 7th

Scores:

EX: 727

TU 734

EQ: 729

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure (and can be other reasons) they just wanted to make sure you have the income to back up your spending and not bail out.

And I don't blame them for that. Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was that $1,020 spend on Paypal, Venmo, Plastiq or some pther credit->cash app or website?

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

ABCD2199 wrote:

Was that $1,020 spend on Paypal, Venmo, Plastiq or some pther credit->cash app or website?

Yup, Bingo. I was trying to pay the rent. They don't like those sites?

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope.  Happens to new Amex customers, too.  All the time.

When people use those sites, the creditors freak out that the new creditee/customer is too poor to write a check.  So then it flags their internal system to CONSIDER vetting the customer better.

I never, ever, ever put on a credit->cash charge on a new charge device.  I'll wait 12 months.  I don't even use Paypal with my CC -- I have it transfer from my checking account.  Way too risky, way too many stories of FR over using those websites, especially with new credit vehicles.

Message 17 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When people use those sites, the creditors freak out that the new creditee/customer is too poor to write a check.  So then it flags their internal system to CONSIDER vetting the customer better.

I never, ever, ever put on a credit->cash charge on a new charge device.  I'll wait 12 months.  I don't even use Paypal with my CC -- I have it transfer from my checking account.  Way too risky, way too many stories of FR over using those websites, especially with new credit vehicles.

OK, now things are making more sense.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While you're right, it needs to be emphasized that as you state this is about new customers because neither Citi nor Amex have issues with established customers using either PP or Plastiq.  I can't count how many times that I have used my cards on those two sites without a peep.  It did unfortunately appear to be the cause of the problems for @Anonymous.  Just don't want other forum members to feel that they can't use their cards at those places.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep -- it only seems to happen to new customers, but I've seen it happen to at least one guy who did a large charge ($3000?) to Plastiq and then pushed a $3000 payment from his bank account before charge posted.  He's sorta a neighbor of mine and he got FR'd on an Amex he's had for a decade -- he just sent in bank statements with a letter telling them to eff off.  I think he makes 7 figures a year, but he was done with them after that.  Also closed his many business cards his employees used for travel expenses.  Probably cost them a ton in charge fees over an FR for $3000 measly dollars.

So even if you're a long term customer, it's also wise to be cautious on using those sites if you do anything else that might concern them -- such as anything that may trigger a money launder or "MS" concern.  He thinks his pre-payment is what caused it as he'd used the site before with no issue.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.