Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CK Question

tag
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

CK Question

CK recently started reported by new Gap Visa, which was fine and normal. What is strange is that at the same time it also started reporting my BofA card (which was opened in 2009) as a new account and dropped my score ~15 points. I think it might be because my BofA card info was compromised earlier this year, and BofA closed the account. They issued me a new card with a new number and reported the old one as "Lost/Stolen," in the process creating a new TL with the same opening date and everything. This has been on my reports since before I signed up for CK, so I'm a little confused as to why CK just now seeing it.

Anyway, since the information is correct, I don't think I have to do anything. At the same time, should I be worried by the drop in my CK score? I know people say TransRisk scores don't always correspond to FICO scores, but I'd just like to make sure there hasn't been an unwarranted ding to my credit scores. 

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: CK Question

The score drop was probably due to adding the Gap Visa as opposed to the other "new" account, but in any event, as you observed, it doesn't matter because you're talking about your Transrisk score. Who knows why it changed. It is not an indication that your FICO changed.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 3 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Edited: After reading another post, it appears that it is a CK issue and not reflective of OP's credit reports.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@bichonmom, what is it you think is reporting incorrectly. What OP describes seems to be standard practice for a lot of issuers when a card is lost/stolen.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 5 of 11
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Sengpatt, my story was almost _exactly_ the same - my BofA card has been closed by the lender because it has been presumably compromised and reopened as a new TL reporting. My CK score dropped almost 100 (!) points right after it (from up-mid 700s to high 600s). At the same time my TU FICO score from walmart has even grown by a couple of pts.

Now I simply ignore CK score at all. I've been monitoring mine together with TU FICO score closely and from what I've seen even directionality of trend for CK does not always correspond to TU FICO (CK may go down while TU FICO either goes up or stands still). I use CK only as a nice tool to visualize my card portfolio, that's it.

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 6 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:
@bichonmom, what is it you think is reporting incorrectly. What OP describes seems to be standard practice for a lot of issuers when a card is lost/stolen.

Edited: After reading another post, it appears that it is a CK issue and not reflective of OP's credit reports. Smiley Embarassed

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 11
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

He said that it's reporting as a new acct opened in 2012, even though BoA told him the "new" acct would retain the original opening date and history. As I said, I haven't been through that, thankfuly. But it seems like it should be reporting as opened in 2009 w/new acct #. And it sounds like it's reporting as a new acct opened in 2012.

It doesn't seem fair for a consumer to be penalized w/lower AAoA and new acct ding if we're the victim of fraud, theft, etc., and have to cancel the CC and have a new CC# issued.

But if that's how it is, then it appears the OP's CRs are correct.

Hi bichonmom. I know my explanation probably wasn't the greatest, but the "new" BofA card is reporting as being opened in 2009. It was a little confusing for me too, as it said I had a "new "account and then in the same line said it was opened in 2009. I imagine it's probably similar to how a  new backdated Amex reports.

Anyway, I guess the moral of this story is you get what you pay for with credit monitoring services! Smiley Very Happy

EDIT: Just saw your edit. No worries haha!

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 8 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think OP is saying that it is reporting with 2009 opening date but CK is recognizing it as a new account in its alerts. But even if BoA is reporting it as opened in 2012, I think that banks have reported replacement trade lines in that manner. While it hurts a FICO score if they do that, I think there's a reasonable argument that it is not incorrect reporting as the replacement account was just opened. Not sure you would be able to have that corrected.

Though I do remember a long campaign by someone to have similar info changed when one bank was acquired by another or something like that and they updated everyone's accounts to the new open date under the theory they had just been opened with the acquiring bank. Screen name started with a D IIRC. Can't remember it now and he doesn't post anymore.

Message 9 of 11
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Also, I just thought of something. This is pure speculation, but with two TLs (one closed and one active) showing for the same card, could you actually get an AAoA bump? I imagine underwriters are not stupid and can tell they're the same account, but a computer may or may not know the difference...

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.