Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CL increase Amex how often?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CL increase Amex how often?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but since I'm a newbie cardmember could I ask some veterans here. My ED card has a beginning CL of 1400. I just asked for an increase to 2000, do you think they will approve? Account open only 30 days, I've paid off all of my accounts with Amex almost instantly after charging. Just found out my NPSPL is actually 2500 on both Green and Plat cards, I know set to improve or lower based upon how I handle my account. I almost put a 3000 charge on my Plat yesterday, good thing I didn't and used another credit card, otherwise I would have been embarrassed. Thanks guys for all of the feedback!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: CL increase Amex how often?

3X your current CL is the max they'll approve for.

61 days from opening is your 1st attempt

90 days to wait if it's a denial other than hitting it too soon

181 days if you're on your 2nd attempt after an approval or if you got approved for one on another AMEX CREDIT card 

Message 2 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

You need to wait until day 61. After that, it's 181 days after an approval and 91 days after a denial. You won't be penalized for asking too soon, though.

When it's time, ask for three times your current limit, i.e. $4,200.

Take a peek at this long topic. You can shorten up your reading to the first few posts and the last few pages.

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

You need to wait until day 61. After that, it's 181 days after an approval and 91 days after a denial. You won't be penalized for asking too soon, though.

When it's time, ask for three times your current limit, i.e. $4,200.

Take a peek at this long topic. You can shorten up your reading to the first few posts and the last few pages.

The Definitive Amex 3X CLI Guide

Wow thanks, I learned A LOT from the above Guide! You are AWESOME!

Message 4 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/AMEX-helpful-links/m-p/4802617

Thanks again. I got an instant email I see, and it says that they've made a decision on my request, it said a 7-10 day mail decison when I did it. They want me to phone them. I suppose it's a polite no, but have not called yet. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait until day 61 and request $4.2k. Assuming that is successful, request $12.6k 180 days after that. Make sure to have low util for a better chance of it working.
Message 7 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I put lots of money through my card preceding my CLI. But I made sure the statement balances were reasonable (one month $900 or so, the other month $0). And I had about $500 in new charges at the time I made my request. This was with a $15,000 starting limit.

With a $1,400 limit, I'd still spend a lot. But I'd keep statement balances in the $0 to $400 range. And at the time of the request, a few new charges without being excessive should be good, maybe $100-$400.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the great advice!!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.