cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CL on Flexible Spending CC. Do they really matter?

tag
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

CL on Flexible Spending CC. Do they really matter?

This may be a totally stupid question. I recognize that CLs are important for your utiliization, and I've been working on rebuilding over the last several years. 

Should I be working so hard to get my CLI on cards that are considered Flexible Spending (e.g., VS, WMC, WEMC)?

I have a few of these cards, ranging from $7500 to $14000 on spending limits. I'm back in the garden (with very frozen CR), but unless Chase gives me an autoCLI, I'd have to take a HP to raise that $7500 limit.

I'm a PIF kind of user, so if I *had* to go over a limit, I would be able to pay it off right away (otherwise, I have bigger issues in that I shouldn't be charging more than I can afford).  I guess the flipside is if I did take advantage of the flexible portion, I could be subject to AA on all my other cards.  

Opinions?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: CL on Flexible Spending CC. Do they really matter?

@iheartwings wrote:

This may be a totally stupid question. I recognize that CLs are important for your utiliization, and I've been working on rebuilding over the last several years. 

Should I be working so hard to get my CLI on cards that are considered Flexible Spending (e.g., VS, WMC, WEMC)?

I have a few of these cards, ranging from $7500 to $14000 on spending limits. I'm back in the garden (with very frozen CR), but unless Chase gives me an autoCLI, I'd have to take a HP to raise that $7500 limit.

I'm a PIF kind of user, so if I *had* to go over a limit, I would be able to pay it off right away (otherwise, I have bigger issues in that I shouldn't be charging more than I can afford).  I guess the flipside is if I did take advantage of the flexible portion, I could be subject to AA on all my other cards.  

Opinions?

If you are just concerned about CL for utilization, and you aren't using any one card particularly hard, it doesn't matter whether the CLI goes on a Flex Spending card or not.

And I'm not sure when it does matter, maybe if you really need to make a large purchase and a flex card is your highest CL, but even then it's not just because it is a flex card.

Message 2 of 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, your title question is different from the question in the text of your post.

Does a Flexible Spending CL really matter? Yes. You can carry a balance up to the CL on that card. You can charge over the CL amount, but any amounts over that CL can not be carried, they must be paid down so the carried amount is below the CL.

As to the question in your text, it's not a good idea to work really hard for CLI anyway Smiley Happy Banks either have ways to give you CLI within  certain defined parameters (AMEX) or they are extremely unlikely to give you any CLI (Chase). Just research what is possible, and that defines your universe of possibilities.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@iheartwings wrote:

If you know that CL's factor into utilization then you really have what you need to answer your question.  If you want higher limits to help with utilization then, yes, you should work on getting CLI's .  If that doesn't matter to you then, no, you don't need to work on getting CLI's.  Flex spending/NPSL is neither here nor there in this context.  The amount you can charge over the limit does not factor into your revolving utilization.

@iheartwings wrote:

Wouldn't be an issue if you PIF before the account reports.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.