Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD Ripple Effect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLD Ripple Effect?

Hi folks - long time reader, first-time poster.

I just got a rude awakening from Chase - I've run some high balances with them for a while ($28K/30K on CSP, $12K/15K on Hyatt, $8K/$10K on CSR), mostly because I have been focusing on slowly paying down other debt.  (I went out of control with CC spending but am reining it in.)  Utilization on other cards with other lenders is lower (0-50%), and CLs on other cards are generally lower (with one or two exceptions).  

Chase called today to let me know that they were doing a CLD on all three of their cards to ~$500 above current usage.  I asked for reconsideration and was told no (lending services rep sounded understanding at first but then was incredibly harsh/judgmental, which I deserve).  Total CLD was around $6K - I paid down $3.5K from liquid accounts to blunt the blow to my utilization, which I'm sure will hurt regardless.  Do I have to worry about other lenders doing the same to me?  

I know, I know, I need to stop carrying the balances and pay off these cards.  Part of the reason I've neglected these cards is because I've been focusing on paying down other cards (although other expenses have crept up too).  I had a recent reality check (last 2-3 months) and am hoping to pay everything down to reasonable utilization ratios in the next 2-3 years (I have a high-paying job), but I'm worried about a cascading CLD effect and having everyone closing in on me.  My largest CLs are with Chase (except for a $20K line with Amex that is nowhere near these utilization ratios - less than 50%) - is it just Chase that is now risk-averse, or will the other lenders close ranks?  Amex did a soft pull on me recently, and I'm worried that they're planning the same.

Also, the Chase rep said they weren't planning on chasing the balance, but can I take them at their word?

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLD Ripple Effect?

So you paid the balances down to 3.5k or you paid 3.5k towards the 40k?

Depends on who the other lenders are. 

What is your total credit lines and what is your aggregate utilization?

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid $3.5K toward the 40K.  Other lenders are Citi and Amex.  $150K in total credit lines, 65% utilization ratio (I know, I know).

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I paid $3.5K toward the 40K.  Other lenders are Citi and Amex.  $150K in total credit lines, 65% utilization ratio (I know, I know).

Hey it is what it is, I'm not gonna jump on you and give you a hard time. Nor should anyone else. Its hard to say what other creditors will do.

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

This gave me enough of a scare that I decided to throw extra money at other CCs too.  I travel for work all the time, so I do need at least one substantial CL open.  I also have a job that pays big bonuses at the end of the year, so I go through this bad cycle of letting the debt pile up and clearing a good chunk of it in one go.  I guess I didn't give Chase enough love this time, but I cleared off my Amex and a good chunk of my Citi debt, too.  (Utilization on the Amex has since gone up, sigh...)

Message 5 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the potential CLD effect can definitely impact your other lenders. Again, as mentioned above, it depends on any periodic risk reviews of your profile and other factors, but only time will tell.

While the department you spoke to mentioned that it's likely no balance chasing may occur with your Chase cards, there's a remote possibility that it can still happen. It's not something that can be prevented or manually changed since it's internally and systematically driven by their risk assessment algorithms. On the upside, your accounts are still open vs. closed.
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's normal for AMEX to soft pull your reports. Do you have more than one AMEX and Citi card. 97k is enough to spook creditors. Less than that can spook creditors.

Are your credit files clean?

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes - clean credit file.  No BKs/defaults/missed payments/etc., just high utilization and high credit usage.  I moved to a new apartment in the last year and both my new building and Verizon did a HP on me, but I can't imagine that's a huge ding.

I have three cards with Citi - one with 70%~ utilization, one with <50%, and one with 0%.  Two cards with AmEx - SPG and Plat.  Have a small balance on the Plat but most of the spend is on SPG.

I saw only one SP from Amex in the last couple of years on my Experian report, which is why I am now spooked about them being spooked.  

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry OP - This might not work, but have you thought about getting a loan to pay those CCs off? or maybe a loan for an amount enough to bring your UTL lower?

I personally have not heard any case of AMEX or Citi following on Chase's steps on CLD when UTL is high.  Chase will for sure be watching closely (not to scare you) so try to pay them fast if you can.

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes - clean credit file.  No BKs/defaults/missed payments/etc., just high utilization and high credit usage.  I moved to a new apartment in the last year and both my new building and Verizon did a HP on me, but I can't imagine that's a huge ding.

Don't worry about inquiries. Any idea what your FICO scores are? I'm thinking SOFI personal loans lend up to 100k to consolidate your debt. They soft pull Experian and will give you offers with APR's. Your files are clean which is great!

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.