Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Advice on Discover and Amex

tag
mahendra82
Contributor

CLI Advice on Discover and Amex

I recently got the Discover and Amex Blue Sky. Can you lend some advice on how to get a CLI on these cards (e.g., do they like heavy usage, etc...) ? Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
DI
Super Contributor

Re: CLI Advice on Discover and Amex

@mahendra82 wrote:

I recently got the Discover and Amex Blue Sky. Can you lend some advice on how to get a CLI on these cards (e.g., do they like heavy usage, etc...) ? Thanks

Congratulations!  Those are two nice cards to have.  Discover gives auto CLIs every 3 months to many new cardmembers..  Significant, but heavy usage isn't required.     You'd have to request a CLI from AMEX after 6 months.  Significant, but heavy usage isn't required.  Pay in full monthly and you'd be fine and liked by them both. 

Message 2 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mahendra82 wrote:

Amex also allows you to ask for up to 3x current CL when requesting CLI.

Message 3 of 14
mahendra82
Contributor

Thanks everyone. Does requesting for a CLI on Amex increase the likelihood of an FR?

Also, are there any particular merchants I should shy away from when using these cards?

Message 4 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@mahendra82 wrote:

Thanks everyone. Does requesting for a CLI on Amex increase the likelihood of an FR?

Also, are there any particular merchants I should shy away from when using these cards?

No and No in my opinion. but lots of people with probably speculate.

Message 5 of 14
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

In my experience, Discover likes you to use the crap out of your card.

No idea on AMEX.  I've never gotten a CLI, never asked, but I don't spend anything on the card.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@mahendra82 wrote:

You can use your card at any business that accepts American Express cards. 

Message 7 of 14
vish1
Valued Contributor

@mahendra82 wrote:

What makes you think of an FR? Do you have something that you stated incorrectly in your application? As long as you have atleast 1 more card to cover you if you get FR'ed, and you did not lie about your income, you should be all set.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 8 of 14
mahendra82
Contributor

It just seems like a lot of things trigger an FR from Amex. From reading the postings here, my priors put a high weight on the likelihood of an FR contingent on drawing attention to your account. I'd rather not go through that process. 

Message 9 of 14
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

IMO, the AMEX FR hype is well overstated.  Nobody ever comes on here and says, "I've been spending wildly and well outside my normal spending pattern and have yet to experience an FR."

Well I, for one, have a very erratic spending pattern.  I use it for business travel, so I will go up to 6 months with no usage, then spend $2000 in the matter of a two-week period, and have never heard a peep out of AMEX.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.