Contributor
mahendra82

CLI Advice on Discover and Amex

I recently got the Discover and Amex Blue Sky. Can you lend some advice on how to get a CLI on these cards (e.g., do they like heavy usage, etc...) ? Thanks

Super Contributor
DI

Re: CLI Advice on Discover and Amex

mahendra82 wrote:

I recently got the Discover and Amex Blue Sky. Can you lend some advice on how to get a CLI on these cards (e.g., do they like heavy usage, etc...) ? Thanks

Congratulations!  Those are two nice cards to have.  Discover gives auto CLIs every 3 months to many new cardmembers..  Significant, but heavy usage isn't required.     You'd have to request a CLI from AMEX after 6 months.  Significant, but heavy usage isn't required.  Pay in full monthly and you'd be fine and liked by them both. 

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

mahendra82 wrote:

Amex also allows you to ask for up to 3x current CL when requesting CLI.

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Contributor
mahendra82

Thanks everyone. Does requesting for a CLI on Amex increase the likelihood of an FR?

Also, are there any particular merchants I should shy away from when using these cards?

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

mahendra82 wrote:

Thanks everyone. Does requesting for a CLI on Amex increase the likelihood of an FR?

Also, are there any particular merchants I should shy away from when using these cards?

No and No in my opinion. but lots of people with probably speculate.

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor
thrasher865

In my experience, Discover likes you to use the crap out of your card.

No idea on AMEX.  I've never gotten a CLI, never asked, but I don't spend anything on the card.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
DI

mahendra82 wrote:

You can use your card at any business that accepts American Express cards. 

Valued Contributor
vish1

mahendra82 wrote:

What makes you think of an FR? Do you have something that you stated incorrectly in your application? As long as you have atleast 1 more card to cover you if you get FR'ed, and you did not lie about your income, you should be all set.

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Contributor
mahendra82

It just seems like a lot of things trigger an FR from Amex. From reading the postings here, my priors put a high weight on the likelihood of an FR contingent on drawing attention to your account. I'd rather not go through that process. 

Valued Contributor
thrasher865

IMO, the AMEX FR hype is well overstated.  Nobody ever comes on here and says, "I've been spending wildly and well outside my normal spending pattern and have yet to experience an FR."

Well I, for one, have a very erratic spending pattern.  I use it for business travel, so I will go up to 6 months with no usage, then spend $2000 in the matter of a two-week period, and have never heard a peep out of AMEX.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}