Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Advice

tag
cakkd
Contributor

CLI Advice

I have two ccs I’ve had for over three years, a Chase Amazon Rewards Visa and a Capital One Platinum. I’ve had the same CL of $1,500 and interest rate of around 22% on each of them for that whole time. I have 30-day a late on each of them, on the first the late is more than two years old; on the second, it’s 23 months old. My credit score is somewhere between 649 and 679 (mostly do to several lates on my mortgage five months or so ago.)

I called the Chase about a year ago (when my credit was better) for a CLI increase, and they said they would need to do a hard pull.

It’s kind of aggravating that I have the same CLI and IR I did initially, and it’s kind of a pain having a moderate credit utilization whenever I charge relatively small amounts to my cards.

Not that it matters, but I once had another Chase Amazon Visa with a 5% rate and an $8,100 CLI. It's not like I've ever cost them money.

Any suggestions on how I can get a CLI without a hard pull? Or should I just wait it out until they give me one on their own?

Starting scores (June 9,2012): 591(TU), 582(EXP), 591(EQUI)
Current score: 721 (Discover Fico)
Goal scores: 761 across the board
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cakkd
Contributor

Re: CLI Advice

A couple of things to add:

-I've had probably a 20% or more increase in income since I first got the cards.

-I like the rewards, but I don't really need the cards. Should I just play passive-agressive and put a $50 recurring monthly bill on them and shove them in my sock drawer until they give me a good CLI and interest rate?

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You will have to ask for an interest rate reduction it is never done automatically. If your reported util is less than 10% take the HP for the CLI on the Chase, on the Cap-1 try the luv button, its a SP, if no go contact the EO. Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

cakkd wrote: Any suggestions on how I can get a CLI without a hard pull? Or should I just wait it out until they give me one on their own?

If you are in good standing with Cap1, you can get a soft pull CLI every six months.  If you are denied, but have a good reason to be approved, you might be held up by your product type.  If your Platinum is a rebuilder, you'll have to PC it to really get going.  There is a write up here on how to get exec help if card swap or chat can't take care of it for you.  

Chase has always hard pulled me, so I make it a point to optimize utilization before they see it.  If denied, you can call the recon department and talk to an analyst.  In my experience, they are very forthcoming about why they denied you, and will help you decide what to focus on before you try again.

Message 4 of 6
cakkd
Contributor

Thanks for the recs, all.

Do you have any idea how often these companies do their own CLI reviews on your CL?

Message 5 of 6
p-
Valued Contributor

@cakkd wrote:

Thanks for the recs, all.

Do you have any idea how often these companies do their own CLI reviews on your CL?

Not often.  Cap1 pulls you soft quarterly anyway, but don't generally raise without a request.  Chase raised me once from 3k to 3500, I think, but I got to 10k on requests.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.