Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

CLI AmEx Approval Limits?

I applied for a CLI to my AmEx gold on the fly. I was at 12K and off-the-cuff asked for 20K and was immediately approved. What could I have gotten? Would they have approved 45K? Does AmEx go much higher?

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: CLI AmEx Approval Limits?

They only so 3x at a time AFAIK so $36k would have probably been max for that go-round but it all depends on your qualifications. I've seen people with $50k+ limits on them but, unless your spend is super high, it's rather pointless IMO. For much over $25k be prepared to provide income docs. They don't always ask for it but it's not uncommon.
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

$12K to $20K is relatively simple and moderate for folks around here.  The typical point in which you would need to provide IRS 4506 form for a CLI would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $35K.  If you're willing to support your request with the IRS doc you can go as high as they deem reasonable in relation to assets/debt/rent/income/etc.

$50K is a relatively easy thing to accomplish if you provide the doc or slowly work your way there over a few years.

More than $50K doesn't show up around here that often unless they're bored enough to come report it.  If $50K is too high then they'll counter back after reviewing your IRS form.  There's really no downside for shooting for the moon w/ AMEX as long as you have what you say you have.  Now if they spot something like requesting $50K on a 30K salary and you said you make 50K then there might be more supporting documentation needed like bank statements and employer verification resulting in a reduction or closure if they can't get what they need.

Per a couple of people around here allegedly you can go up to $1M on personal cards even though I thought it would be significantly lower than that for 99.999% of us.   The good news is you can go back for more in 6 months and roll the dice as you see fit Smiley Happy

Highlighted
0 Kudos

Quite the informative response! Thanks so much everyone.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.