Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Citi Simplicity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI Citi Simplicity

Hey guys I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any luck with a CLI for Citi Simplicity? How long was the account established and what was the credit utilization for you when approved? I currently have a $5,700 limit and asked for an increase when I have a credit utilization of about 89% and will have had the account for a year in August. I tried requesting a CLI last week just to see and I got denied.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI Citi Simplicity

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys I just wanted to ask if anyone has had any luck with a CLI for Citi Simplicity? How long was the account established and what was the credit utilization for you when approved? I currently have a $5,700 limit and asked for an increase when I have a credit utilization of about 89% and will have had the account for a year in August. I tried requesting a CLI last week just to see and I got denied.

You can generally get softpull CLIs every 6 months by checking the increase area on the website. Usually good for $1k each time. My success rate is 80%, with the only failure coming after not using it for 4 months or so. Your utilization might be an issue though.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The chances of Citi or any creditor granting you a CLI with 89% utilization is very low if not zero

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, I asked for (and received) a CLI 9 months after opening the account and it was 1.4k. Utilization on that card prior to the CLI was 25%. The CLI was an SP online, with an option to ask for more if I was willing to do a HP. I was fine with my increase so I didn't do that. 

Hope that helps!

Message 4 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

I asked for one after having the card for six months with a SL of 6K. Had about 20% util at the time due to a BT. Instandly approved for 2.3K increase. However, if you have more than one card with Citi you can only get one CLI online every six months. I have two cards with Citi so I can only get a CLI every 12 months for each card.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can generally get softpull CLIs every 6 months by checking the increase area on the website. Usually good for $1k each time. My success rate is 80%, with the only failure coming after not using it for 4 months or so. Your utilization might be an issue though.

I will try again in another 6 months. By then I will have that card at less than a 30% utilization. It's still in the introductory rate of 0% until 02/2016. I am planning on just having a subscription on this card and paying it off at each statement cycle.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The chances of Citi or any creditor granting you a CLI with 89% utilization is very low if not zero

I figured that would be the case, but I had read somewhere on the boards that someone got approved with a utilization of 80% so I thought it would be worth a shot especially since it is only a SP.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, I asked for (and received) a CLI 9 months after opening the account and it was 1.4k. Utilization on that card prior to the CLI was 25%. The CLI was an SP online, with an option to ask for more if I was willing to do a HP. I was fine with my increase so I didn't do that. 

Hope that helps!

Yes it does help! Thanks so much! I will be getting my utilization at less than 30% and try a cli a couple of days before xmas. I will have had the card for a year and 4 months by then.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

I asked for one after having the card for six months with a SL of 6K. Had about 20% util at the time due to a BT. Instandly approved for 2.3K increase. However, if you have more than one card with Citi you can only get one CLI online every six months. I have two cards with Citi so I can only get a CLI every 12 months for each card.

Thanks for that info! I did not know that having multiple cards with them would cause the rules to change for cli. I only intend on having one credit card per bank(Chase, BofA, Citi, and WF) and I think I am going to limit myself to 4 or 5 cards(the fifth slot is reserved for an AMEX Platinum when I turn 25 >.<) in total.

Message 9 of 11
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Berk wrote:

Unless this started very recently, it definitely hasn't been the case with my Citi cards the past few years. A few months ago, I got 1000-1500 SP credit limit increases on my: Citi AA, Hilton, Forward, and TY Preferred (now Dividend) all in the same month. In the past, I always increased my TY Preferred and Forward together with no issues. Perhaps I just have a lot of room left with my internal limit. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.