CLI Question / How much do you spend on CC's a month

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: CLI Question / How much do you spend on CC's a month

@sarge12 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

. Discover denied a cli for me...reason stated...Insufficient experience at the higher credit limit with this credit issuer. I kid you not...they refused to raise the limit because I have not got enough experience with them at the higher limit. 

Had they recently given you a CLI?  Usually this means insufficient at the new(ish) CL, not at a higher than you have CL.

Yes about 2 months prior I recieved cli from 4000 to 5750

So, not quite so strange after all....

Message 51 of 55
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

. Discover denied a cli for me...reason stated...Insufficient experience at the higher credit limit with this credit issuer. I kid you not...they refused to raise the limit because I have not got enough experience with them at the higher limit. 

Had they recently given you a CLI?  Usually this means insufficient at the new(ish) CL, not at a higher than you have CL.

Yes about 2 months prior I recieved cli from 4000 to 5750

So, not quite so strange after all....

It is just the way they stated it...why not just say last credit limit increase is too recent?

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 52 of 55
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I don't answer spending question when I apply for a CLI from Cap1. Sometimes it's approved and sometimes it's denied. The reason for denial hasn't been about spending. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 53 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all!

Just wondering what the best answer would be for this question on a CLI application.  I just got my first credit card and am in no way requesting a limit increase but I am however looking over every detail to best understand the best way to use my cards.

I know UTI is to be kept at 9% or lower, but when asked this CLI question, what would be the best answer?  On one hand I can see them saying the lower the amount you spend per month the less of a risk you are.  On the other hand, I'm wondering if they want to see a larger dollar amount than my current $300 limit.  If I make several payments in each month, using the card a lot then paying it right back down days later, does that look better?  

My situation is I have a $300 credit limit.  I put my phone bill on the card then went on days later when that posted and paid it off the very first day I could.  I then did the same with gas and groceries paying them off immediately after.  I like this plan because I'm getting cash back rewards but is this screwing me over from getting a better CLI in 6 months?  I thought showing that I could use the card but had a need for a higher limit would show more favorably to the creditor.

Any and all help is welcome, thank you all so much for answering so many of my questions!!

No clue on inputting the cc spend and it having impact. Tried both ways never made a noticeable difference.  CC utilization will heal with time, so dont worry so much about that.  You should be able to earn 1% back on gas and groceries with the credit one (but of course focus more on the cap1 now).I had luck calling in to cancel, and they offered a nice increase, I don't even remember, it went form $500 to either 1050 or 1500.  They also essentially refunded all fees and interest I ever paid and said something like "dinner is on us!".  I ended up canceling it several months before the next AF hit.  I wouldn't cancel the credit one until you get another card, thats just me.  Have you considered something at a credit union? Especially where you can validate your income, or perhaps where you do your banking at as a last resort.

I have said this many times before and I will say it again.  Capital One is an ok bank.  But as big as they are, I feel they should offer a wider variety of cards.  They should also nerf the 1.25% venture one.  And for a card like the Quicksilver World Elite MC, it shoud only be 1 or 2 inquiries (without modifications) instead of 3.  Despite all of this, capital one seems to stick with folks through thick and thin.  While they may not have APR reductions like Citi, Amex, BOA, etc, they do at least offer ongoing BT offers (although nowhere as frequently as discover), temporary APR reductions, and no bt fee options great for debt shuffles.

I prefer cards that aren't set in stone.  If something changes and I want an increase earlier than 6 months, and I am willing to sacrifice an inquiry, that should be an option.  And cards that are only reviewed by a computer once or twice a year for APR adjustments don't seem to be as competitive as cards that allow folks to request one manually a few times per year.  I also dislike banks that basically encourage you to apply for another card just because you have outgrown what you currently have (commerce bank, capital one, etc).

I remember the days when I had to make multiple payments a week.  It was a habit to just pay charges off daily.  Now I prefer to let that money earn interest, and take advantage of grace periods.

Message 54 of 55
Gggmen
Valued Member

Message 55 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.