Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI Question

I haven't been around the forums lately but was curious about CLI's on a few cards of mine.

Amex BCP

Discover IT

Chase Ritz

Chase Marriott

Had all 4 cards about 2 1/2 - 3 months now.   Hit the spend bonuses on them all and both chase cards have $0 balance.  Discover and amex have really small balances on them but paid those tonight.

Just wanted to ask when the best time to ask for CLI's would be on them.   I heard Chase is rare and they will normally give u one when they see fit.

Not looking for any HP's if i can help it so any info would be great!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI Question

If you're at 61 days on the AMEX, you can go for the SP 3xCLI. There's a guide thread here with the details.

I don't have Discover, read 91 days SP.

ZERO clue on Chase.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase will hard pull you, every time.

Message 3 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't been around the forums lately but was curious about CLI's on a few cards of mine.

Amex BCP

Discover IT

Chase Ritz

Chase Marriott

Had all 4 cards about 2 1/2 - 3 months now.   Hit the spend bonuses on them all and both chase cards have $0 balance.  Discover and amex have really small balances on them but paid those tonight.

Just wanted to ask when the best time to ask for CLI's would be on them.   I heard Chase is rare and they will normally give u one when they see fit.

The suggestions from the previous posts are spot-on.

Chase is known to always HP for customer-initiated CLIs.

Amex is generally responsive 61 days after you open a new account.  Keep in mind if they turn down your request for any reason (other than trying too soon) it will be 90 days before you can try again.

Many people have been able to get CLIs from Discover 90 days after account opening, and at various intervals after that.  For me it's been at 90-day intervals (even after the initial CLI), but some people have reported being able to get a CLI from Discover as often as every 30 days.  It seems to vary a bit from account to account, but the initial CLI at 90 days seems to be common.

Message 4 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex BCP

Discover IT

Chase Ritz

Chase Marriott

Discover every 91 days.

Amex you can try at 61 days. If you get it then need to wait 6 mos

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I would wait till they're 6 months old, that way there's little chance of a decline in your request. Also, if they're 0% APR, leave a small balance on them to show you're actually using them, that'll help your score as well.
Message 6 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Gardener76 That is a safe suggestion, but not necessarily true, especially with Discover and usually Amex. Being that they are soft pull requests, being denied really has no value and you have nothing to lose by that happening. All they do is say no and you move on until the next time you decide to try.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

True that, I tried my amex after the 61 and was declined. After the 6 month mark, they gave me the 3x. Tried Discover and they only offered a 500 increase, waited a month and then tried again. That time I got 1k up, took it and smiled. My Wal-Mart MC doubled on the luv button and that was 7 months wait. YMMV
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info guys.   

Is it best to pay your Amex in full before asking for the 3x CLI?   I just put a charge of $100 on it the other day so it's showing that out of a 3K limit.   Don't mind just paying that and asking in a few days but was curious if that mattered

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info guys.   

Is it best to pay your Amex in full before asking for the 3x CLI?   I just put a charge of $100 on it the other day so it's showing that out of a 3K limit.   Don't mind just paying that and asking in a few days but was curious if that mattered

I had a balance on mine when I did the 3x CLI and had no problem. They'll look at your spend history and stuff, that's why I was saying to wait til the 6 month mark, unless you gotta have that extra limit now.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.