Reply
Contributor
heytherehitherehothere
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎07-15-2011
0

CLI Request with Balance On card questions

I just accessed my Citi card to do a BT to another creditor. So my balance will reflect the BT in a day or two.

As well, my six month is coming up for the card, in terms of requesting a credit limit increase.

I've been looking forward to calling in or going online to request the increase, but does anyone know if having a balance of any amount

is a factor in a card company giving you either a smaller or larger limit after the request for increase?

 

I could pay off the balance but I've had luck with my Discover having a balance at time of increase and they always seemed larger of increases

when I had a balance on the card versus when it was showing a $0 balance.

 

Any suggestions that might've worked for others? Should I payoff? Keep the balance where it's at after this balance transfer posts?

Does having a balance even play as a factor in the size of increase?

 

INFO: Limit is $1,600 now. Would like an increase of same amount or 2,000.

Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Posts: 1,789
Registered: ‎11-17-2012
0

Re: CLI Request with Balance On card questions


heytherehitherehothere wrote:

I just accessed my Citi card to do a BT to another creditor. So my balance will reflect the BT in a day or two.

As well, my six month is coming up for the card, in terms of requesting a credit limit increase.

I've been looking forward to calling in or going online to request the increase, but does anyone know if having a balance of any amount

is a factor in a card company giving you either a smaller or larger limit after the request for increase?

 

I could pay off the balance but I've had luck with my Discover having a balance at time of increase and they always seemed larger of increases

when I had a balance on the card versus when it was showing a $0 balance.

 

Any suggestions that might've worked for others? Should I payoff? Keep the balance where it's at after this balance transfer posts?

Does having a balance even play as a factor in the size of increase?

 

INFO: Limit is $1,600 now. Would like an increase of same amount or 2,000.


I'm sure a small to decent balance on the account won't make a difference! I've done CLI on two accounts with a minor balance on them just fine :smileyhappy: However, if you're getting real close to the CL and have been for some time, this may cause grounds for denial of the CLI!

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 746 Credit Karma (TU) 785 Transrisk 823/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 761 Credit.com (EX) 762 VantageScore 3.0 736 Quizzle (EQ) 741
Contributor
heytherehitherehothere
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎07-15-2011
0

Re: CLI Request with Balance On card questions

The last part you said is kind of funny to me, because in my experience anyway, the higher the balance on the card at the time of either my CCC's auto increase or my calling to request, they give out 1k+ CLI's. I don't even really think I've received an increase on a card with a $0 balance. Many places I've read that the more you have on the card, the more they give you because that's just them seeing it and going, "So he/she has a high balance now, making a little over minimum payments couple times a month, let's give him/her a larger limit so they can spend more and more. They're under the 0% offer for both purchases and balance transfers, maybe he/she will be stupid enough to not know that if they don't pay it all off within the time frame, the interest accrual is different for BT's and purchases after the promo's over."

That's just what I imagine, anyway. Could be definitely wrong.

 

I need more input. Has ANYONE requested an increase with a substantial balance on the card?

Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Posts: 1,789
Registered: ‎11-17-2012
0

Re: CLI Request with Balance On card questions


heytherehitherehothere wrote:

The last part you said is kind of funny to me, because in my experience anyway, the higher the balance on the card at the time of either my CCC's auto increase or my calling to request, they give out 1k+ CLI's. I don't even really think I've received an increase on a card with a $0 balance. Many places I've read that the more you have on the card, the more they give you because that's just them seeing it and going, "So he/she has a high balance now, making a little over minimum payments couple times a month, let's give him/her a larger limit so they can spend more and more. They're under the 0% offer for both purchases and balance transfers, maybe he/she will be stupid enough to not know that if they don't pay it all off within the time frame, the interest accrual is different for BT's and purchases after the promo's over."

That's just what I imagine, anyway. Could be definitely wrong.

 

I need more input. Has ANYONE requested an increase with a substantial balance on the card?


Well of course many creditors like to see high spending profiles, but having at or near 100% utilization for 3 months or more with only the minimum payment tends to make them very upset and result in a CLD :smileytongue: others, like you said, like the high balances begetting high limits in hopes that they'll catch you in the interest trap! hopefully someone will get back to you about high, reasonable balances!

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 746 Credit Karma (TU) 785 Transrisk 823/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 761 Credit.com (EX) 762 VantageScore 3.0 736 Quizzle (EQ) 741
Contributor
heytherehitherehothere
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎07-15-2011
0

Re: CLI Request with Balance On card questions

Well the thing is, I can have the balance paid off somewhat so my card will look like this at request time:

 

Limit: 1600 Balance: 800-1000

I know this is "bad" for the card profile on the reports, but I want to make sure that it looking like that could possibly have me

get the increase I'd like. Maybe you're right, in the fact that I may not get approved for an increase at all due to high usage of the card.

The best I'll be able to do is call and request and see what happens, and I will definitely update on the forums the result.

Valued Contributor
daybreakgonesXe
Posts: 1,789
Registered: ‎11-17-2012
0

Re: CLI Request with Balance On card questions


heytherehitherehothere wrote:

Well the thing is, I can have the balance paid off somewhat so my card will look like this at request time:

 

Limit: 1600 Balance: 800-1000

I know this is "bad" for the card profile on the reports, but I want to make sure that it looking like that could possibly have me

get the increase I'd like. Maybe you're right, in the fact that I may not get approved for an increase at all due to high usage of the card.

The best I'll be able to do is call and request and see what happens, and I will definitely update on the forums the result.


Your balance isn't terrible! You still have a good chance at the increase approval!

Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard $10k | JCPenney Platinum $7.5k | Shell Drive for Five $800 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $9.8k | TD Bank Easy Rewards Visa Signature $5k | Chase Sapphire Visa Signature $10k | American Express Blue Sky $25k | Discover IT $9.5k

EQ FICO 735 TU FICO 746 Credit Karma (TU) 785 Transrisk 823/990 Credit Sesame (EX) 761 Credit.com (EX) 762 VantageScore 3.0 736 Quizzle (EQ) 741
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy
Posts: 6,204
Registered: ‎08-16-2012
0

Re: CLI Request with Balance On card questions

Well...
I owed Barclay's (Travelocity Amex) about $5k out of $6.5k for like 7 or 8 mos... Got denied a cli at the 6th and 7th month. I paid it down to $2200 last month and they auto cli'ed it to $7700....the denial for cli was "too high of balance on this bankcard" or s'thin' like that... Lol
So it def matters...
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k| West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Member
DailyDriver
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎09-12-2012
0

Re: CLI Request with Balance On card questions

I did a CLI request on 2 Citi cards where the balance was between 85%-90%.  Both werere approved for around $1,000 each (didn't want to risk anything higher).

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Dividend World Mastercard $7K l Discover More $12K l Chase Freedom $4K l Amex Hilton HHonors $5.3K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 12.5K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+