Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Strategy Question

tag
frankietown
Established Member

CLI Strategy Question

Hey guys, So i have my first respectable limit of $15k with Amex. After 61 days, i'll ask for $45k and hope they approve.

My question is, should I have too much limit on one card? Or should i try to get the other cards up close to my amex limit first?

Or should i get the amex really high, and then ask chase and discover if they could up my limits closer to my amex?

Is it bad to have all my credit limit in one place? will card companies try to match your credit limits so you use their card instead?

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: CLI Strategy Question

If you ask for more than $25k, be prepared for FR. Also, each cc company has their own internal risk exposure (also based on your income and credit worthiness). If you don't mind showing tax documents and the like, then ask away. If I were shooting for another card with them, why not ask when you talk them about the CLI. Because if you ask for that much, you WILL be talking to them! Smiley Wink

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Asking for more than $25k may not result in a request for taxes. It's a guideline but not a definitive number by any means.
Message 3 of 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I would wait, it appears that all of your limits over 5k happened in  november of this year, asking for 45k seems extreme in 61 days, I would want to give AMEX more time to see your spending habits and payments. If you really need more than the 15k you can show them with your spending. Charge and PIF by the end of the month to help see your need. if you don't want to submit for Tax records and income it might be better to grow the cards in steps,  like first step up 22.5k and then 6 months later ask for 45k, asking for 3x on a 15k with only a 2 month relationship with AMEX is likely to lead to a request for tax records or a flat out denial.

Taking it slow may help your or other cards grow as well, if you have a 45k card but all your other cards are only 5k, creditors may not include the 45k limit when calculating your average CL, used when determining new CL on future cards and auto-CLI's going forward.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.