Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI With GM Card/HSBC Product Change?

tag
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

CLI With GM Card/HSBC Product Change?

Finally started reusing my oldest trade line, a GM Card ("Bronze" card) from HSBC in May after almost 6 years of inactivity (which resulted in a more than 90% decrease in CL -- I have no one to blame for this but myself).

Since I started reusing the card, I have called once a week to ask for a CLI (they keep saying that they are not offering any) or a product change (they kept saying that none were available). Finally, yesterday, on the 7th or 8th call -- after feeding me the line about not doing CLIs -- they offered a product change. The rep offered three cards -- one of which was the GM Flex Platinum card that I immediately keyed on as the most "prime" of the cards and that after asking that question about four different ways the rep suggested was the one I would want, and that I selected after asking every question about the product change 18 different ways to make sure they weren't trying to open a new account/close the 11 year old account. Five seconds later I was approved for the product change.

I'm hoping the product change will trigger an account review, or at least give me a shot at a CLI. Otherwise, this card's low limit just just doesn't fit with the rest of my credit profile.

My question is, has anyone gotten a credit line increase from HSBC on a product change -- particularly one from a GM Card to a GM Flex Card?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: CLI With GM Card/HSBC Product Change?

<<<

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

It looks like I did too. From $300 to $5k.

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

HSBC says they currently have a freeze on CLI until fall someone else reported, I have not heard a date from HSBC though...

but your saying they increased you from 500-5k after the product change?

Message 4 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Yes. HSBC kept telling me the same thing as well.

Eventually, I started to believe that my account was tied to a product that didn't match my credit profile. So, around call number five I started asking if I could make a product change.

They made the product change several calls later, and -- at the same time -- they increased the credit limit. Just to make it clear, they didn't increase the limit in response to a CLI request but only as a direct result of the product change. I assume that the product change initiated an account review that resulted in the CLI.

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

wow lucky you!

Message 6 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Actually, it looks like I spoke too soon. The CSR said the limit was $5K the day before I activated the new card, but the new card only has a $300 limit.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not gotten much from HSBC since '03.

I notice when I pull my CRAs they have not checked

my credit since '08.  I don't think much of them.

I started at 1000CL and 7 years later at 1900. I

hardly ever use them.  Their interest rates are

wicked and it's always a hard inquiry if you ask

for cli.

If there was a fee they would be GONE.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.