Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI advice - Cabela's and HSBC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI advice - Cabela's and HSBC

Over the past three years, I've been able to get four unsecured credit cards (Juniper MC, Walmart Discover, Cabela's Visa and HSBC MC).  I'd rather grow these lines than keep applying for new ones.  I've been able to grow the Walmart Discover every 7 months or so (thanks to their luv button) and I called for and got a CLI on Juniper earlier this year, but the other two, I have not received CLIs on in a year and I have questions about each one.
First, some background info:
I filed a Chapter 7 BK in September 2005 (discharged in January 2006).
All of my FICO scores are over 700 (Equifax 707, Trans Union 722; Experian not known but based on recent increases in EQ and TU scores, and applying them to my last known Experian FICO score, I estimate that my Experian FICO score today would be 728).
I applied online for a CLI with Cabela's exactly a year ago and was successful (from $1000, the CL they gave me when I got the card in October 2008, to $2000); thing is, when I clicked on the "request an increase" link today, I got the "404 Not Found" error.  Did they stop offering online CLIs?  (I've also read that they are no longer BK-friendly so maybe I shouldn't ask for any more CLIs from them until the BK is off the reports, and just be happy that I was able to get a card when they were.)
HSBC, they've disabled online CLI functionality on their web site for a long time now.  I've read that they still give automatic CLIs but I have never had one in the 14 months I've had their Household Bank MC.  My CL is $5000.  Should I keep waiting for an automatic increase, or call them for a CLI?  And how much should I ask for given my scores and BK?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI advice - Cabela's and HSBC

Hi Mark,

What is your current utilization on each card and overall?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My current utilization is very low (owing mainly to the fact that I pay my balances in full every month)... no more than 10% on any one card and about 5% overall.

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I got cabela's several years ago when we all found out they were handing cards out like candy... I was at the time in the middle of my ch 13 but they gave me 3k and then cut it to 1500 while the card was in the mail to me... 1 year later during a review they do every 3 months, they closed the account because of bk... I waited until out of my bk and applied again and was declined for bk... called credit to recon and was told they will no longer issue a card to people with bk.... but at the same time, check your soft pulls, my bet is they are watching you every 3 months, so it's not like they don't know you have a bk at this point, so don't see why it would hurt to ask for increase, but it is a hard.

HSBC has to be auto, you can't request currently

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  I'll just "leave well enough alone" with both cards and be grateful that I got the Cabela's one while I could.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!  I'll just "leave well enough alone" with both cards and be grateful that I got the Cabela's one while I could.

I would do the same!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure about your credit questions, but as a computer nerd... a 404 not found error simply means their web server had a problem or there is some programming problem on their end. More specifically, the web server was looking for a page and it couldn't find it (probably because one of their programmers fat fingered something). I highly doubt it has anything to do with your CLI. I would give them a call and let them know.

Have fun!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Cabela's/World's Foremost Bank simply (and deliberately) disabled online CLI functionality (although it would have been nice if they put a message on that page stating just that, like HSBC did).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.