cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI ? and CLI auto step increases on Cap 1?!??!?!?

tag
boober
Frequent Contributor

CLI ? and CLI auto step increases on Cap 1?!??!?!?

Can someone please explain to me about how this program I keep reading about on these forums work? I keep reading about people being due for their next step increase and how they're constantly getting CLI's and alot of the time it's to people who don't really have good credit. I'm talking (no offense) scores in the 650 on down range.

I have scores in the 750 range and I never get any CLI's from Cap 1. One of my cards with them is 5 years old and Cap 1 tell me I can't get CLI's with this card.

My other 2 cards which are about 7 months old, a QS and a Venture card, I keep getting told no for CLI's as well.

So could someone please enlighten me as to how these auto CLI's work, and how this "credit steps" program I keep reading about works as well?

Anyone else getting the run around from Cap 1 as well like me? I seem to be the only one on this forum. Smiley Sad

And NO, there's nothing negative in my credit report.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI ? and CLI auto step increases on Cap 1?!??!?!?

If your only trying the online LUV button. Maybe call in and speak to a person and ask for  a Soft CLI. 

vise versa.. if your calling for a cli always.. try the online luv button

Message 2 of 5
core
Valued Contributor

@boober wrote:

Anyone else getting the run around from Cap 1 as well like me? I seem to be the only one on this forum. Smiley Sad

Trust me, it's not just you.  Just be glad they gave you the QS and Venture!  No luv for me either even after running 50k through my QS1 in a month.  I firmly believe that Cap One is using algorithms to predict profitability, not just credit profile and ability to pay.  My scores are similar and they won't even give me the QS without the AF (although the EO did waive it permanently for me).  And they also denied me for the Venture.  The only reason I can think of is they've paid me $thousands in rewards dollars and haven't made a cent in interest, and they know they never ever will.

That, or they monitor all the nasty stuff I've said on this forum about Crap One over the the last 8 years.  That might have something to do with it too.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I believe you're a victim of that dreaded "bucketing" by cap1 on certain cards. Some of their cards, especially if they're old accounts that were bought out by cap1, simply won't grow. The reality is that capital one would rather you apply for a new product with them. More an likely you'll get a high SL and low APR, especially if you have high income and high scores. It's actually a bit more common than you think, unfortunately.

As far as credit steps, it's just a program wherein people who are building/rebuilding their credit are automatically enrolled when they apply for one of cap1's lower tier cards (Platinum, QS1, etc). Basically it guarantees a one time credit limit increase as long as you make five on time payments, don't default, and don't go over limit. The exact amount of the increase is disclosed at the beginning; usually it's anywhere from $250-$500, though some people who used and paid off the card heavily have gotten steps increases of upwards of $1k.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 5
boober
Frequent Contributor

That all makes sense and now I finally understand. Thanks guys for the replies. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.