Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI before Credit Steps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI before Credit Steps

Hi Everyone!

I have been approved for a $100 CLI on my, now product changed, Quicksilver, since month 2 of opening the card. My credit steps has not hit yet and is due to hit June/July. Should I apply the CLI or wait? 

I will wait if it is possible to hit the LUV button after steps. Is that possible? Because if it is not possible to hit the LUV button for another 6 months after steps, it shouldn't matter if I take the $100 CLI now, get steps, and then wait 6 months.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI before Credit Steps

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I have been approved for a $100 CLI on my, now product changed, Quicksilver, since month 2 of opening the card. My credit steps has not hit yet and is due to hit June/July. Should I apply the CLI or wait? 

I will wait if it is possible to hit the LUV button after steps. Is that possible? Because if it is not possible to hit the LUV button for another 6 months after steps, it shouldn't matter if I take the $100 CLI now, get steps, and then wait 6 months.

Thanks!

In point of fact, a lot of people will say that if the CLI is available to you before the Credit Steps increase, you should go ahead and take it. I'm unclear myself if you really have to wait 6 months after the Credit Steps increase before you can press the CLI button again; can anyone clarify? I'm planning to attempt a CLI later this month on my Platinum, as my own Credit Steps increase is due in August/September.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Previously, many in the Credit Steps program would get an increase after their second statement by asking for a CLI. I got $500 on my Platinum through this. Then I got another $1K when I was done with the Steps program. 

I now have a QS1, which may or may not be in the Steps program (pretty sure it is), that started with a $500 limit. I'm now three statements in and cannot get a CLI. 

Cap 1 is changing things, and we're all not sure how or why just yet. If I were you I'd take the CLI and then wait for the Steps increase. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Previously, many in the Credit Steps program would get an increase after their second statement by asking for a CLI. I got $500 on my Platinum through this. Then I got another $1K when I was done with the Steps program. 

I now have a QS1, which may or may not be in the Steps program (pretty sure it is), that started with a $500 limit. I'm now three statements in and cannot get a CLI. 

Cap 1 is changing things, and we're all not sure how or why just yet. If I were you I'd take the CLI and then wait for the Steps increase. 

Exact same here. About to be at my 4th statement. Started at $500. Have PIF every month, high usage, and have been denied a CLI every single time. I have a feeling the credit steps increase is going to be crappy when it happens. Not getting my hopes up. Seems CO QS1 increases aren't what they used to be. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exact same here. About to be at my 4th statement. Started at $500. Have PIF every month, high usage, and have been denied a CLI every single time. I have a feeling the credit steps increase is going to be crappy when it happens. Not getting my hopes up. Seems CO QS1 increases aren't what they used to be. 

My fourth statement cuts the 14th of this month ... and I'll once again PIF like I always have before then. 

And tomorrow, as I do every Friday, I'll ask Cap1 for CLIs on both my Plat with QS rewards (which I think is now a true QS -- my 13th statement just cut) and my QS1. I fully expect to be decline for "too many inquiries" ... which I don't believe to be the case, but Cap 1 is weird right now.

I don't expect my steps increase to be sexy either ... in fact, after I get I'll probably just close the QS1, roll the available credit onto the QS and then close the QS1 entirely. If Cap 1 is going to be all weird about thing, I'll go elsewhere.  

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

And just when I thought my $100 CLI was sexy Smiley Very Happy.

So has anyone here been able to hit the LUV button right after steps or no? That is the deciding question.

Message 6 of 14
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

After the steps it's a 6 month wait before you can get another CLI.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
After the steps it's a 6 month wait before you can get another CLI.

+1

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So would it make sense in my instance to accept it? Since in July, I will get a CL of $500 (hopefully more). I mean there's no reason not to do from what I now understand.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, take it now. It won't hurt your steps and some have reported it helped. I don't have the thread but I distinctly remember someone saying they started at $300 and were emailed about Credit Steps taking them to $500. They CLI'd to $500 at 3rd cut and their Credit Steps took them to $1500.

I started at $300, took $100 just before 3rd cut, and I'm hoping for a good bump in June from Credit Steps. Not banking on it, as so many are reporting Capital One looniness lately, but I'm really hoping for more than another $100 bump.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.