cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI blitz today, advice?

tag
matrim33

CLI blitz today, advice?

Hello. I got 6 cards about 7 months ago and I am going to ask for CLI's today and apply for a couple new cards. I have a few questions.

I've read asking for double is a good rule of thumb. Anybody disagree?

If I apply for a new card with a company I already have a card with, is it better to apply for the new card or ask for a CLI first? Will the the credit pulls show up twice on my report?

Phone or internet for cli request? So far I think I do better on the phone.

Any other thoughts would be great. I had bad credit about 18 months ago and have been working on it. I'm have "decent" credit now and this is my first cli "blitz", I'm a bit nervous...

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: CLI blitz today, advice?

This all depends on who the card is with.

Amex is 3x and ask online and if you get error, call in... it's just the computer system... it happens all the time.

If it's GE - request online but if you want HUGE CLI then you call Credit Solutions... not regular customer service and get an on the spot manual review to request from like $1k to $10k

Chase - Apply for new card

Citi, Bank of America - request online and ask for as much as you want... they will counter

Capital One - Email Exec office... online is pointless.

anyone else?

Message 2 of 13
matrim33

Thanks.

I have an Amex 2k, Fid Amex, 12.5k Barclaycard 5k, Alaska Air 5k (boa), Wellsfargo rewards 4.7k, and Chase Sapphire 6k.

Message 3 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@matrim33 wrote:

Thanks.

I have an Amex 2k, Fid Amex, 12.5k Barclaycard 5k, Alaska Air 5k (boa), Wellsfargo rewards 4.7k, and Chase Sapphire 6k.

Amex you ask for 3x or $6k in your case

Fid Amex and Alaska are both BofA right? I would ask to go to $25k on each... they will counter

Barclay - I would ask for $10-$15k depending how use the card

Wells I wouldn't bother - conservative and I would be worried to waste the hp... but if you like the card and them, then maybe... but again rather use that inq for a new card.

Chase - I probably wouldn't bother asking for CLI, I would just apply for another Chase Card... then upon approval you can move some credit line around if you want sapphire higher, but they are consistenly known to decline CLI or give smaller CLI but then automated computer approves large new credit lines.

Message 4 of 13
matrim33

Thanks a ton for the help. I will follow your plan and let you know how it goes. I was going to apply for a blue cash amex as I need a card for groceries. And I was going to apply for another barcllaycard arrival. I need one I can use personally, I use the one I have now for my business. It was 3.5k up until a month ago and then they bumped it to 5k.

I kept the WF card as it is my oldest card. It is not a card I really use. All the other cards I use a lot and never carry a balance.

After reading what you said about Chase I may apply for the the freedom card. I've read that works well with Sapphire.

Message 5 of 13
matrim33

Weird day, with good and bad results.

Barclaycard app (online) - being reviewed. I called, talked to a representative to make sure that I could have 2 of the same card (I called before and they said yes). Again, they said yes. I could have two of the exact card under one name. He sent me to a credit analyst. She said no I could not have 2 of the same card and that I would get a letter of being denied. Thanks for the credit hit...

Barclaycard cli (online) - asked for 15k, being reviewed

Chase freedom app (online) - accepted 2k... Lame, the only thing I can think of is that my chase checking account balance is relatively low at the moment while my wife and I have been updating the house. Great, a 2k card with a company that hates increasing limits...

Amex Blue cash app (online) - accepted, unknown limit

Fidelity Amex cli (phone) - Asked for 30k, figured what the heck. After some smooth answers to their senior analysts questions, APPROVED. So that was a little bit of a silver lining for the day. He said I had great credit, while others seem to think I don't. Who knows... Logged in online and already showing the new limt!

Alaska Visa cli - 25k, being reviewed

Amex cli - 6k, being reviewed

In the past I have never done well with anything that is being reviewed. To me that usually means you will be getting bad news in the mail in 7-10 business days. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had of called about all of the cli's as I did so well with the one I did. Do they do letters when you call? Or is it always instant? I'm generally pretty good on the phone if I can get somebody who can actually make a decision.

Any reason to call any of the being reviewed?

Message 6 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I'd call Barclay about using that app for a different card.
2. You could call and recon CL with chase but probably 2nd pull.
3. Pending BofA you could call analyst again for instant decision and WOW on your first one.
4. Shoot should have told you cli first on Amex before new app... Now you will need to wait 61 days if not 6 months depending on system.
On the chase maybe take the pull to recon CL of new approval and see if they will use same pull for cli of current card too!
Message 7 of 13
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@matrim33 wrote:

Weird day, with good and bad results.

Barclaycard app (online) - being reviewed. I called, talked to a representative to make sure that I could have 2 of the same card (I called before and they said yes). Again, they said yes. I could have two of the exact card under one name. He sent me to a credit analyst. She said no I could not have 2 of the same card and that I would get a letter of being denied. Thanks for the credit hit...

Barclaycard cli (online) - asked for 15k, being reviewed

Chase freedom app (online) - accepted 2k... Lame, the only thing I can think of is that my chase checking account balance is relatively low at the moment while my wife and I have been updating the house. Great, a 2k card with a company that hates increasing limits...

Amex Blue cash app (online) - accepted, unknown limit

Fidelity Amex cli (phone) - Asked for 30k, figured what the heck. After some smooth answers to their senior analysts questions, APPROVED. So that was a little bit of a silver lining for the day. He said I had great credit, while others seem to think I don't. Who knows... Logged in online and already showing the new limt!

Alaska Visa cli - 25k, being reviewed

Amex cli - 6k, being reviewed

In the past I have never done well with anything that is being reviewed. To me that usually means you will be getting bad news in the mail in 7-10 business days. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had of called about all of the cli's as I did so well with the one I did. Do they do letters when you call? Or is it always instant? I'm generally pretty good on the phone if I can get somebody who can actually make a decision.

Any reason to call any of the being reviewed?

I would call WF and speak with a CSR. I have gotten 4 CLI and all have been SP.

Message 8 of 13
matrim33

Made some calls.

Chase Freedom up 2k for a total of 4k

Chase Sapphire up to 12.5k

Alaska Air Visa up to 10k

WF - being reviewed, didn't seem like they would put me on the phone with anybody who could make an instant decision

Barclaycard - just got off the phone with them, their credit department is closed but they may have reconsiered. Not sure if they will look at todays pull tomorror if I call back.

What I have learned today. Chase and BOA will put you on the phone with somebody who can make the decision. Being honest, nice and telling a good story seems to help :-) I'm fairly certain without those convos I wouldn't have gotten the limits I got, the computers don't seem to like me and I think real people seem to look more at flawless payment history (which I have) and less on old issues.

Message 9 of 13
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Congrats on new limit increases....

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.