Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI for JC Penney!!!

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

CLI for JC Penney!!!

Here's the scoop...

I've had a JC Penney account that I opened in 2003 when I was in college, no lates...  Account was inactive, so they decreased my limit to $124. 

After reading the boards I decided to ask for a CLI since this is an older account. I want to bring it active again so that it can help my score. So the plan is to use the account to purchase a few things for a work conference, and pay all but $15 of the bill, and let the $15 roll to next month for payment.

I called, they wanted to know how much of an increase I wanted.  I told them $600 dollars, and they gave it to me after verifying my credit history, since the account has been inactive for so long.

So I get a new active account, backdated to 2003 with a 600 limit Smiley Happy    Its my second oldest account, with the oldest being my Discover Card with a 4200 limit that I opened in 1999.

Yay for this board, Thanks for everyone who contributes to the knowlege here!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CLI for JC Penney!!!

Congrats! Always nice to be able to keep age and (positive) history on your reports. Use the card periodically to keep it active -- doesn't have to be anything big -- and PIF if possible so as to avoid interest. Then, every four months you can request an increase and it will be a soft pull. Mine started out last April with a $200 CL, and I'm now up to $1800. Treat the card well, and GE will be good about increases.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 16
chan85
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Here's the scoop...

I've had a JC Penney account that I opened in 2003 when I was in college, no lates...  Account was inactive, so they decreased my limit to $124. 

After reading the boards I decided to ask for a CLI since this is an older account. I want to bring it active again so that it can help my score. So the plan is to use the account to purchase a few things for a work conference, and pay all but $15 of the bill, and let the $15 roll to next month for payment.

I called, they wanted to know how much of an increase I wanted.  I told them $600 dollars, and they gave it to me after verifying my credit history, since the account has been inactive for so long.

So I get a new active account, backdated to 2003 with a 600 limit Smiley Happy    Its my second oldest account, with the oldest being my Discover Card with a 4200 limit that I opened in 1999.

Are you sure it's the same account and thus will be backdated on your reports? If so congrats!!

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 3 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Yes it's the same account! It's been reporting all this time, with just a real small limit.
FICO 9:

Message 4 of 16
chan85
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Yes it's the same account! It's been reporting all this time, with just a real small limit.

Oh ok so it's not "backdated" like how amex does, but you got them to up the limit on an existing card- gotcha now! Congrats nonetheless!

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 5 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats !!

Message 6 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

2 Things:

1. Depending how long it has been inactive a CL of $124 from GE means it's been decreased for no other reason then non use and you can usually call and have the original CL put back in place "because you want to start spending money again!"

2. You do not need to roll ANY balance over to next month and pay interest on eit, you just need to have a balance at the time your statement was posted of less than 9% of your CL and then pay in full when it arrives, that will give you the update to credit showing you use the card very well!

Message 7 of 16
p-
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Here's the scoop...

Penneys is great when it comes to CLI's and they are constantly sending out coupons and certificates.  But never let a balance sit, their interest rates are atrocious.

Message 8 of 16
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the advice!

What sort of behavior does a bank like in order to give out CLI's? Seems like I've never gotten very many. 

FICO 9:

Message 9 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I'm waiting until end of next month when my Util. is down to 2% and asking for a final CLI. If none, i'm axing the card. I'm tired of being overlooked with a $150 limit.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.