Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI for Paypal master card with Credit Freeze in place

tag
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

CLI for Paypal master card with Credit Freeze in place

I called GE Paypal credit card services number "8005282334" to request a CLI on my Paypal extra master card. Credit analyst took my basic info and confirmed me it will be a softpul for the CLI request. She put me hold for a while and came back and said, she is unable to pull my credit report from Tran Union as I have a freeze in place. 

She asked me to lift the freeze so that they can do a soft pull on my CR. 

I am confused here, so far I understand for all GE cards its a softpull and credit freeze on your account does not matter. However call with Paypal card services proved to be wrong, It will be a soft pull on your report, however you should not have a credit freeze on the file. 

Can some one confirm on this ? Do I need to remove a freeze to get a CLI on any of my GE cards, even though it is a soft pull or this is very speciifc to Paypal extra master card ? 

Please advise.

Thank you.

USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: CLI for Paypal master card with Credit Freeze in place

As far as I know and have read current cards you have can do a soft credit check even if frozen. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 4
score_building
Senior Contributor

@CardsLifeLine wrote:

I called GE Paypal credit card services number "8005282334" to request a CLI on my Paypal extra master card. Credit analyst took my basic info and confirmed me it will be a softpul for the CLI request. She put me hold for a while and came back and said, she is unable to pull my credit report from Tran Union as I have a freeze in place. 

She asked me to lift the freeze so that they can do a soft pull on my CR. 

I am confused here, so far I understand for all GE cards its a softpull and credit freeze on your account does not matter. However call with Paypal card services proved to be wrong, It will be a soft pull on your report, however you should not have a credit freeze on the file. 

Can some one confirm on this ? Do I need to remove a freeze to get a CLI on any of my GE cards, even though it is a soft pull or this is very speciifc to Paypal extra master card ? 

Please advise.

Thank you.

Yes-must remove the freeze on TU, it is typically a SP (except for Carecredit, which is generally a HP).

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 4
YanYan

GE is a strange beast. I recently had the same issue and here's what I learned.

Yes, a current creditor can perform a soft inquiry even though your reports are frozen. But GE can / will not. Nobody knows why.

I had my TU frozen and called for a CLI and even though they (and everybody else) stated it was a soft pull, the analyst said he couldn't access my credit report because it was frozen. So, I unfroze TU while on the phone with him and he was then able to perform the inquiry and grant the CLI. I then promptly refroze TU.

Indeed, it was a soft pull. Not a hard. Strange.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.