Regular Contributor
CardsLifeLine

CLI for Paypal master card with Credit Freeze in place

I called GE Paypal credit card services number "8005282334" to request a CLI on my Paypal extra master card. Credit analyst took my basic info and confirmed me it will be a softpul for the CLI request. She put me hold for a while and came back and said, she is unable to pull my credit report from Tran Union as I have a freeze in place. 

She asked me to lift the freeze so that they can do a soft pull on my CR. 

I am confused here, so far I understand for all GE cards its a softpull and credit freeze on your account does not matter. However call with Paypal card services proved to be wrong, It will be a soft pull on your report, however you should not have a credit freeze on the file. 

Can some one confirm on this ? Do I need to remove a freeze to get a CLI on any of my GE cards, even though it is a soft pull or this is very speciifc to Paypal extra master card ? 

Please advise.

Thank you.

Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (45K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/AMEX PRG(NPL)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX GREEN(NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFFERED(8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(1.5K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(3K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(600)– Total 30 Cards
Mega Contributor
coldnmn

Re: CLI for Paypal master card with Credit Freeze in place

As far as I know and have read current cards you have can do a soft credit check even if frozen. 

My Wallet /US Bank Cash+ Signature $10,000/ Ace US Bank Signature $10,000 / Sam's Mastercard $8000
/ Walmart Mastercard $8000 / Discover IT $5000 / Care Credit $5000
/ Husqvarna $5000 / PayPal SmartConnect $4800 / Cap1 Quicksilver $4000 / Barclay Ring $3550
Last App 8/12/14 /

Senior Contributor
score_building

CardsLifeLine wrote:

I called GE Paypal credit card services number "8005282334" to request a CLI on my Paypal extra master card. Credit analyst took my basic info and confirmed me it will be a softpul for the CLI request. She put me hold for a while and came back and said, she is unable to pull my credit report from Tran Union as I have a freeze in place. 

She asked me to lift the freeze so that they can do a soft pull on my CR. 

I am confused here, so far I understand for all GE cards its a softpull and credit freeze on your account does not matter. However call with Paypal card services proved to be wrong, It will be a soft pull on your report, however you should not have a credit freeze on the file. 

Can some one confirm on this ? Do I need to remove a freeze to get a CLI on any of my GE cards, even though it is a soft pull or this is very speciifc to Paypal extra master card ? 

Please advise.

Thank you.

Yes-must remove the freeze on TU, it is typically a SP (except for Carecredit, which is generally a HP).

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
YanYan

GE is a strange beast. I recently had the same issue and here's what I learned.

Yes, a current creditor can perform a soft inquiry even though your reports are frozen. But GE can / will not. Nobody knows why.

I had my TU frozen and called for a CLI and even though they (and everybody else) stated it was a soft pull, the analyst said he couldn't access my credit report because it was frozen. So, I unfroze TU while on the phone with him and he was then able to perform the inquiry and grant the CLI. I then promptly refroze TU.

Indeed, it was a soft pull. Not a hard. Strange.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+