Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI help

tag
lava224

CLI help

OK, I'LL MAKE IT SIMPLE....

DOES ADDING MORE MONEY ON A SECURED CREDIT CARD HELP YOUR SCORE?

EXAMPLE: CURRENTLY HAVE $800 ON A SECURED CAPITAL ONE CARD.

IF I INCREASE THE LINE TO $5000, WOULD THAT HELP YOUR SCORE?

ANY AND ALL OPINIONS PLEASE

THANX

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
VinceYoung
Valued Member

Re: RAISE THE ROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! INCREASE IN CREDIT LINE HELP

I don't believe the amount will help your score. But what WILL help your score is utilization, which is why most people want a high CL. The higher the CL the more you can spend to stay in the 1-9% utilization range. 

Starting Score: 637
Current Score: EQ:712 TransRISK: 724
Goal Score: 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+1@vince!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 8
solstice00
Regular Contributor

I think the Capital one secured has a credit line of 3000 and not 5000.

PLus I would recommend not to put another 2200 to get to 3000. The reason is because Capital one gives out unsecured credit every 6 months(between 100 to 300).

Also that card will never graduate(i.e. to an unsecured card unlike the BOA,USBANK secured cards)

Instead of tying up your money in there until you close your account( and lose AAoA and a credit score dip) you can get another secured card(such as BOA,usbank) and get a secured card for the full limit. Ironically those cards never increase your credit limit but those become unsecured after a year or so.(18months for BOA).

So you get your money back.

Also +1 ^.

Make sure your utlilization is between 1-7% for maximum benefit.

"Its your AAoA, Sir. It seems, Sir, that it is so short that i dont think it would hurt for it to get a little shorter"
Message 4 of 8
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

At one point in my "credit life " most of my cards were ALL low-limit @ bewtween 500-800. I raised my secured card limit to $3,000 and it seemed like when I applied for other cards I started to get much higher limits... some say that "higher limits beget higher limits" IMHO I would day that this hold true to some extent.....

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 5 of 8
lava224

Good advice. Do you recommend BOA secured and put a $2000 line. I guess at some point they go usecured and return your deposit. Does this hold true?

Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: CLI help

@lava224 wrote:

OK, I'LL MAKE IT SIMPLE....

DOES ADDING MORE MONEY ON A SECURED CREDIT CARD HELP YOUR SCORE?

EXAMPLE: CURRENTLY HAVE $800 ON A SECURED CAPITAL ONE CARD.

IF I INCREASE THE LINE TO $5000, WOULD THAT HELP YOUR SCORE?

ANY AND ALL OPINIONS PLEASE

THANX

Yes.

-It would lower your overall util. percentage if you had balances reporting.

Other than that, it would set you up for prime lenders later on giving you higher credit lines if you can show good history say 6 months to a year) with the 5k line.

If you can afford dropping down the cash it would be a great idea for the long term for you.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

@lava224 wrote:

Good advice. Do you recommend BOA secured and put a $2000 line. I guess at some point they go usecured and return your deposit. Does this hold true?

Yes. Normally your card will graduate at the anniversary. You can read about my personal experience with the same card here: http://hiepsfinance.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/secured-credit-card-graduation/

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.