Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI increase & decline at the same time

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI increase & decline at the same time

I have four store cards to rebuild credit. I dont understand how they decide on credit limits. I use all the cards and as of right no only Target has a balance on it less than 10% of limit. Any insight?

Target, Victoria Secret, have increased my credit limit

Old Navy has decreased my limit

Kohls has remained unchanged

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

Re: CLI increase & decline at the same time

How long have you had the cards?

What are your FICO scores?

Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have four store cards to rebuild credit. I dont understand how they decide on credit limits. I use all the cards and as of right no only Target has a balance on it less than 10% of limit. Any insight?

Probably your utilization is too high. IMHO you should pay them all down to zero.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Probably your utilization is too high. IMHO you should pay them all down to zero.

OP said she only has a 10% balance on target and thats not technically too high. 

If old navy decreased you it seems something must have happened on your reports. Often times its medical collections that appear on your credit reports that ruin things and it seems people often dont know about it.

Can you pull your reports and see if something like that happened?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are so many variables that can impact your CR.  Any recent collections on liens?  Too many inquires, a late pay maybe, DTI, just to name a few.  If nothing, then give them a call or you can wait for the letter outlining their decision.  Sorry to hear!

Message 5 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dont understand how they decide on credit limits.

It's all based on what your credit profile and income qualify for.  Different creditors/products will have different underwriting criteria.

@Anonymous wrote:

I use all the cards and as of right no only Target has a balance on it less than 10% of limit. Any insight? 

You'd need to give us a better idea of your credit profile and how it has changed recently.  It is not just the account with the creditor that matters.  Your entire credit profile is considered.

Consider the standard factors.  How is your report data considering each of these factors?

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any past dues are from years ago long BEFORE they gave me a credit card. No recent collections. I did use Target and Old Navy at Christmas but they had never been near the upper limit before that. And have since been paid off or Target at 10%.

I have had the account for about a year. No lates on any account; store card or auto loan.

I received a letter just today that states due to serious delinquencies and balance near credit limit. Makes no sense to me; I never had a balance before Dec and the "serious delinquencies are from years ago. Like I said BEFORE i got credit from them.

So am I not supposed to use the card at all?

I did pull a credit report recently  and nothing on there except for a student loan showing past due but that's from 2 years ago  I didn't realize I even had that.  I sent them a gw letter hoping to remove that.

This old navy c redit limit decrese doesnt affect my score does it?

Message 7 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Any past dues are from years ago long BEFORE they gave me a credit card. No recent collections. I did use Target and Old Navy at Christmas but they had never been near the upper limit before that. And have since been paid off or Target at 10%.

I have had the account for about a year. No lates on any account; store card or auto loan.

I received a letter just today that states due to serious delinquencies and balance near credit limit. Makes no sense to me; I never had a balance before Dec and the "serious delinquencies are from years ago. Like I said BEFORE i got credit from them.

So am I not supposed to use the card at all?

I did pull a credit report recently  and nothing on there except for a student loan showing past due but that's from 2 years ago  I didn't realize I even had that.  I sent them a gw letter hoping to remove that.

This old navy c redit limit decrese doesnt affect my score does it?

If your utilization increases then yes it will affect your scores.  Does your other cards has balances on them?

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. They didnt have a balance at all except for Target & Old Navy during the month of Dec. I used them but paid them off in Jan.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.