Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI info

tag
remarc
Regular Contributor

CLI info

From tomorrow I can ask for a CLI with citi. Per month Ive been using around 70% of my credit limit which is currently at $1500, I always PIF on time & never late. I want to ask for a CLI.
Firstly what do u think my chances are for a CLI, do they soft pull my credit, which i might add has dropped due to auto refinance! Will this affect chances of a CLI or does it purely go by how u have used & handled your card with the CC by paying on time & in full??

Also...How much do u think I can ask to increase? Double my current limit?? More?
Is it better to ask for more & get counter offered? Or if I ask too much will it be a HP? Or decline for asking too much?

I currently hAve 12 months left on a BT offer & was thinking about doing this with $1450 I have on another two cards

Any help would be great.
My main concern is if I ask for too little or too much. = denial or not enough to cover BT
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

Re: CLI info

As long as you have had the account open for 6 months, then you qualify for a CLI.  If you request online, you will have to put in your information (annual income, etc.) and then before hitting submit you are prompted with "by hitting SUBMIT, you authorize Citibank, N.A. to check your credit history" but I think this is just their way of playing it safe...and if your account is in good standing like you say it is, they should give you an offer to increase it immediately and it should say at the bottom "a credit bureau report WAS NOT pulled".

Usually, most increases I have seen with Citi are $1,000 (mine and other folks).  You can put in that you would like to increase it by $1,500 and if you get it then kudos to you...but if you get counteroffered with $1,000 without a credit check then I would take it.

Both increases with my Citi Dividend Visa Signature were $1,000 with no credit pull.  However, on the last one I was given the $1,000 with no credit pull but after I accepted I saw an option to "request for more" and I did it for an additional $1,000 which required a hard pull...but it was approved.  So if your credit is in good standing, I would accept the first offer that they give you and then request for more and see what turns up.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 2 of 17
skyisthelimit
New Contributor

Also has ur credit score/income went up since opening the card?

Message 3 of 17
remarc
Regular Contributor

My income yes. By about $10.000 i got a rase twice this year already. My score is slightly lower due to auto refinancing & a Denial with Amex & Barclay card. Dropped down about 20 points. I did however remove my collections from my experian & now have no negative Marks. Still only 4 years history however. My EX is currently 650 was 675 when I got the card. TU & EQ both 705 tho they pulled EX when they ran my HP for the card originally
Message 4 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would let your 6 month payment clear and then CLI (doesn't have to be PIF I don't think but a extra good if you can.

Now on to what can you "ask"  or "get" for a CLI from citi.... I always say ask for the stars! (Don't ask for $1k!

I want them to say "we can't give you $5k but we can give you $4k, do you accept?" LOL

My 2 friends that both at Citi Forward at 6 months did CLI in front of me (I did after all tell them to get it and prodicted CL's pretty close!

Anyway $6k, I told him to ask for $10k, he got $7600 I believe it was.

My other friend $4200, I told him to ask for $10k and think he got $8200.

I usually ask for at least double!

its like GE, it's in the computer, it's not changing the amount it's giving you UNLESS you don't ask for enough... but actually I think they will then counter for higher, but sometimes like Macy's more is available and people don't ask for more (but works little different now I think.)

Message 5 of 17
lanc
Regular Contributor

Citi gave me a low limit of 1800 on a card I wanted to do a BT to.  I ended up putting 80% util on the card and only paying the minimum.  They doubled it to 3600 with a soft pull in 6 months even with the high util and not making a lot of payments

Message 6 of 17
remarc
Regular Contributor

I applied for a CLI online this morning.. this is what i got...

We received your $Credit Increase request and have forwarded it to our Credit Department for review. To find out if you're been approved, please wait at least 30 minutesfrom the time of your request, then sign on to Account Online.
Please watch your personal email for the outcome of your Credit Line Increase request. If your request was made    between the hours of 6:00am and 11:00pm CT our Credit Department will be sending you an email in 30 minutes with a decision.

im guessing thats not so good?

Message 7 of 17
remarc
Regular Contributor

The Denided me.. Wouldnt give me a reason.. i have no idea why? said i would get a letter in 7 to 10 days. I asked for double my limit for a BT. Ive always PIF. Used my card to around $1000 per month on a $1500 limit and still i get nothing. 

I have no idea why i cant get a CLI.. it never said it would be a hard pull.. i submitted the requst again for a smaller amount. still got the wait 30 mins message. 

How frustraiting

Message 8 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Recon is your friend.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Crashem wrote:
Recon is your friend.

Not with Citi!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.