Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI luv with Discover hits a ceiling - sort of

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CLI luv with Discover hits a ceiling - sort of

Why not just provide them proof of employment?   Pretty simple process from what I heard..

Message 11 of 32
Berk
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Why not just provide them proof of employment?   Pretty simple process from what I heard..

I was told that I could call from my work number or have my supervisor call. Those were the only two options given to me. I am currently working 9.5 hours from my corporate headquarters in a job trailer and my company cell phone does not display company name in caller id. Furthermore, all our offices are closed today and my supervisor is in Ft. Lauderdale. No way to verify employment today. So, you see, not so simple for me.

i have 20K anyway so 21.5 isn't worth all the trouble at this time.

Message 12 of 32
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Berk wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I was told that I could call from my work number or have my supervisor call. Those were the only two options given to me. I am currently working 9.5 hours from my corporate headquarters in a job trailer and my company cell phone does not display company name in caller id. Furthermore, all our offices are closed today and my supervisor is in Ft. Lauderdale. No way to verify employment today. So, you see, not so simple for me.

That's crazy.  Never heard of verifying employment that way.  Usually it's through some type of payroll/HR process but Discover is its own animal I guess.  You have a great limit with them at 20k.  They kicked me off the train a couple of weeks ago Smiley LOL

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 13 of 32
itsmemikeyg
Valued Member

I have been able to screenshot my payroll stub and email it to them, twice now. 

American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card / American Express Blue 30K / Discover It 33.5K / Bank of America Cash Rewards 16K / Citi Diamond Preferred 10.3K / Chase Freedom 10K / Chase Marriott Rewards Premier 5K / Best Buy Card 2.7K / Chase Slate 2.5K / Chase Freedom 1K
Message 14 of 32
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

+1........  are we cancel your card

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

Well, with everyone talking about how much CLI luv they have been getting with Discover I tried it three weeks ago and was bumped the standard $1500.00 instantly bringing my total limit to $20K. Went and did it yesterday and got the "we are processing your request" message. Got a call today asking me to verify my employment. I could not do that today nor do I really want to go through the trouble of doing so, so I canceled the reqest. I did learn two things of importance from the CSR:

1. Discover typically gives CLIs only up to $1500 with a soft pull.

2. Once your limit reaches $20K Discover requires employment verification for each and every CLI request from then on. This can be either you calling them on a phone number from your company or have a supervisor call them and verify employment for you. You will typically still only receive the $1500 increase with a soft pull.

Thank you for the info, It looks like a very easy step to verify employment...

Message 16 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@12njoy wrote:

@Berk wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

That's crazy.  Never heard of verifying employment that way.  Usually it's through some type of payroll/HR process but Discover is its own animal I guess.  You have a great limit with them at 20k.  They kicked me off the train a couple of weeks ago Smiley LOL

Yes, having someone clainimg to be your supervisor call  seems to give no real information.   And at large companies, giving even this to third parties would be frowned on unless going through approved HR channels.

Message 17 of 32
StriderM99
New Contributor

Is $20K the bench mark where they start verifiying income?

I just did a CLI request for the fun of it on their website. They asked for my Gross Income, Employer, and House Payment.. I filled out those 3 questions expecting to be asked what I wanted the increase to be, but was prompted with a new page saying "Congrats, you've been given a $4,000 increase"

The $4,000 CLI puts me at an even $20,000 with this card. I have no idea when I last requested a CLI.  I didn't need it.. I just did it because I read this thread, lol.

Is it fair to assume they'll start requesting employment info if I do another CLI later on down the road?

Message 18 of 32
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yes Strider. Your next one gets a call. Congrats on the awesome increase!
Message 19 of 32
newhis
Valued Contributor

@StriderM99 wrote:

Is $20K the bench mark where they start verifiying income?

I just did a CLI request for the fun of it on their website. They asked for my Gross Income, Employer, and House Payment.. I filled out those 3 questions expecting to be asked what I wanted the increase to be, but was prompted with a new page saying "Congrats, you've been given a $4,000 increase"

The $4,000 CLI puts me at an even $20,000 with this card. I have no idea when I last requested a CLI.  I didn't need it.. I just did it because I read this thread, lol.

Is it fair to assume they'll start requesting employment info if I do another CLI later on down the road?

You can try in 16/17 days for another CLI. Maybe is a YYMV. If you confirm that they ask for employment verification we can conclude that they may have a 20K rule. 

Baller confirms that you will get a call.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.