Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI...when to ask for one

tag
NeedingAChange
Established Member

CLI...when to ask for one

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit. I was recently approved for a couple of CC. When is the best time to ask for a CLI? 3, 6, 9, 12 months? or is there no good time?

Thanks!

NeedingAChange
Starting: 512 CreditKarma (TU) - 1/6/2015
Current 08/10/2016 - MyFico (EX) - 600, CreditKarma - 587(TU), 574(EQ), & 575(EX)
Goal: 700+
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI...when to ask for one

I think it's safe to ask for CLI every 6 months? I think it all depends on companies.

Capital one, Discover and Citi, I request for cli whenever I feel like asking (usually every couple months) because I know they don't hp for most cli requests.

American Express, I wait until 6 months from last cli, because I don't wanna poke a sleeping bear.

Barclay, I would call in once in a while to see if they will issue cli without hp, if they say no, i just give up.

Chase, I don't even bother with trying for cli.

Message 2 of 8
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Asking for CLI is unique to each creditor!  

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 3 of 8
NeedingAChange
Established Member

Thanks!

NeedingAChange
Current 08/10/2016 - MyFico (EX) - 600, CreditKarma - 587(TU), 574(EQ), & 575(EX)
Goal: 700+
Message 4 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There are 2 separate things at play:

1. How often a creditor will allow CLI requests.  This can vary from creditor to creditor so you can't just assume X for all creditors and need to look into each of your creditors.  Don't overlook existing discussions regarding CLI's with specific creditors.  If you have AmEx cards then don't overlook the 3x CLI Guide.

2. Whether or not you qualify for the CLI.  This we can't tell you.  We can try to guess if you can provide enough info about your credit profile and the creditor(s).

CLI's are not simply handed out in exchange for time.  Primary considerations will be your credit profile and your income.  Those will play the biggest parts in determining what you qualify for.  Your AAoA will generally improve over time but that's just one factor in FICO scoring.  It's also a matter of how the rest of your profile improves if you have not been qualifying or if you were borderline.

@NeedingAChange wrote:

Keep in mind that CK's scores are only relevant to creditors that use a TU or EQ VantageScore 3.0.  CK doesn't provide just one score.  Make sure you're keeping track of the shape you're in with all 3 of the major CRA's.

That said, a 512 TU VantageScore 3.0 does reflect some issues.  How have things changed since then?  Idenitify the issues in your reports and work on addressing them versus jsut relying on time for requesting CLI's.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@morgacj2004 wrote:

Asking for CLI is unique to each creditor!  

+1

Message 6 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I''d say 6 months is the more common time, especially when you look at the success rates.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some creditors will give you a CLI before your first statement. Some make you wait 6 months.  There are others everywhere in between.  It will help if you list which cards you got.  Or you can search the boards for the name of your card and "CLI". 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.