Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI with Chase with a SP only

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: CLI with Chase with a SP only

So gathering all this info in. The only real way is to keep chase a while and app for another card. Then combine the limits. its almost 5 months since my Freedom. Since Cli is out of question. i guess i will pay it off. Sd it when gas is done. Even im on the 0% apr. and let time pass to app for another chase co branded. hmm.

Message 11 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

I just wanted to know what someone can do to better their chances of the SP CLI. An answer of "it's random" is not acceptable. He made it sound as if they put customer pictures up on a wall and blindly throw darts. Nonsense, there is a method to who gets them and why. Now, if he said "we don't discuss our methods with customers", that's fine. But to say it's random is just something I can't deal with.

I've been with Chase for a year. No late payments and I've put FAR more money through Chase cards than probably all of my other cards combined. No CLI's of any kind, no APR reduction, no offers of any kind. So maybe it boils down to I just don't put enough through the cards to satisfy them, fine. I'll never put more through than I already do, so if that's the issue then leaving them becomes the right thing to do anyway.

You may think it's "silly" to leave a company because I'm not getting what I want under my own terms, but the reality is every other credit provider agrees with my stance. This is proven in how they deal with their customers, not one account I have is the same as when I opened it other than with Chase. This shows other lenders are perfectly willing to adapt to your changing credit situation. Why would I ever stick with a permanent 23 percent APR? The credit profile that APR applies to is no longer associated with me. I don't have that credit any longer and therefore I'm not going to be punished as if I do. You find this "silly", I find it to be common sense. I've put pennies through my Discover card vs what I've put through my Chase cards, my Discover card is also only four months old and in month three I was given a small increase. Why can't Chase do this? Who knows, but I'll let some other customer take my place and pay an absurd APR so as to not look "silly".

You have a Chase Slate. You got the benefit of whatever timeframe of low or zero APR you were going to get out of the card. I'm not sure why you are looking for a CLI on this card. Are you carrying any balance on the Slate? If no, then the 23% doesn't apply. Even if you are putting spend through it, you aren't getting any points for it.

If the question is about the Amazon card, then transfer some or all of the CL from the Slate to the Amazon card.

As noted, several times, by others, what you would like Chase to do, and how Chase has chosen to do business are at odds. You can either app for a new card, or not. The Chase Freedom is an excellent noAF, revolving category 5% card with the potential to generate a substantial number of UR points that you can bank and decide later whether you want to transfer them through a Chase CSP to an airline like United to get some even better value out of them. Oh, and the Freedom also has a sign up bonus.

If you don't like the APR on the Amazon card, then close it, and apply again after a month for another.

Chase won't give you a SP CLI. They won't lower your APR. You don't have to embrace this concept, you just have to accept it. Smiley Happy And then figure out what you want to do about it, within those limits.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Chase is simply not big on CLIs. The sooner you accept this, the better. Some people, rarely, get auto CLIs, but no one can tell you when or if this will happen. I will say it is very infrequent compared to some other lenders. Otherwise, a CLI with them is a HP. It's really not that big of a deal to take one HP if it will get you a good limit, although no one can tell you whether that will happen or not. It's just a HP, not a new account ding or anything.

They also do not reduce APRs on request, period. You can kick, scream, call the EO, it doesn't matter. Not gonna happen. Your only option is to cancel and reapply if you want the same product with a lower APR. They do "review accounts" and maybe if it's a Tuesday, it's a full moon, lightning strikes, and your account ends in the numbers 1234 only, you will get a lowered APR automatically. Otherwise? No. Your APR is what it is. It's just how Chase is.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, as much as I adore Chase (and I do), I can admit that they are probably the worst major bank for CLIs. Auto-CLIs are rare, SP CLIs are virtually non-existent (unless you get a mailer offering a SP CLI), and HP CLIs tend to not be very generous. 

Message 14 of 24
yfan
Valued Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

You may think it's "silly" to leave a company because I'm not getting what I want under my own terms, but the reality is every other credit provider agrees with my stance. This is proven in how they deal with their customers, not one account I have is the same as when I opened it other than with Chase. This shows other lenders are perfectly willing to adapt to your changing credit situation. Why would I ever stick with a permanent 23 percent APR? The credit profile that APR applies to is no longer associated with me. I don't have that credit any longer and therefore I'm not going to be punished as if I do. You find this "silly", I find it to be common sense. I've put pennies through my Discover card vs what I've put through my Chase cards, my Discover card is also only four months old and in month three I was given a small increase. Why can't Chase do this? Who knows, but I'll let some other customer take my place and pay an absurd APR so as to not look "silly".

Generally, I find your stance of closing the Chase cards not only your prerogative but the right move. But come on. No lender owes you anyghing just because another lender was nice to you. I have been with Discover for more than a year, and I have never gotten a CLI, but I have enough of a CL to put all the spends I would want to anyway given its rewards structure through it. I don't put spend on a card because I'm hoping to get a CLI. I put spend on it because it gives me the rewards I think are best.

As for some other customer taking your place and "paying" an absurd APR, while Chase is the one determining the APR, you are the one that decides whether to pay it. If you pay your balance in full before the due date, you pay no interest at all. Let's not take ourselves completely out of the seat of resposibility.

Message 15 of 24
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

Generally, I find your stance of closing the Chase cards not only your prerogative but the right move. But come on. No lender owes you anyghing just because another lender was nice to you. I have been with Discover for more than a year, and I have never gotten a CLI, but I have enough of a CL to put all the spends I would want to anyway given its rewards structure through it. I don't put spend on a card because I'm hoping to get a CLI. I put spend on it because it gives me the rewards I think are best.

As for some other customer taking your place and "paying" an absurd APR, while Chase is the one determining the APR, you are the one that decides whether to pay it. If you pay your balance in full before the due date, you pay no interest at all. Let's not take ourselves completely out of the seat of resposibility.

Think about the concept of the credit game, the idea is to improve your credit to improve your terms. No reason exists to improve your credit if it's not going to improve your terms. Imagine if every lender did business the way Chase is doing business here, what incentive would people have to improve their credit situation? Are we morally obligated to keep our utilization at a certain level, to carry balances on only x number of cards? No, we do these things because we're playing the game. Chase wants to play only part of the game, they want to bat but they don't want to play in the field. They're happy to impose unfavorable terms based on poor or average credit, but when that same credit situation transforms into good or excellent status, Chase says "eh, your credit doesn't matter so much anymore".

That kind of business practice should disgust literally everyone. If more people did what I'm about to do, closed their accounts, guess what? Chase would abandon this practice in no time at all. As long as they have people making excuses for them they'll continue to act in this manner. I didn't have A lender treat me favorably, I've had every single lender I've dealt with treat me favorably and reward my credit resurgence. THIS is the standard practice, to reward your customers if they show financial responsibility. Chase appears to only be interested in credit if it's inadequate enough to qualify for favorable, from their position, terms. That's not how the credit game is designed, it completely defeats the purpose of the entire system.

To clarify, I'm not even focusing on my Slate account. It has a zero interest period until I believe August of next year. My focus was on the Amazon account I opened almost exactly one year ago. No late payments, plenty of money put through it, zero recognition by Chase. Then I call to ask what I can do to earn better terms (something that should stand out as a positive to Chase), and I'm met with "it's random". Horrible policy and horrible answer. Maybe a few years down the line I'll apply for a new account, but I just cannot support a company that won't adjust to my improving credit situation.

Message 16 of 24
yfan
Valued Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

Think about the concept of the credit game, the idea is to improve your credit to improve your terms. No reason exists to improve your credit if it's not going to improve your terms. Imagine if every lender did business the way Chase is doing business here, what incentive would people have to improve their credit situation? Are we morally obligated to keep our utilization at a certain level, to carry balances on only x number of cards? No, we do these things because we're playing the game. Chase wants to play only part of the game, they want to bat but they don't want to play in the field. They're happy to impose unfavorable terms based on poor or average credit, but when that same credit situation transforms into good or excellent status, Chase says "eh, your credit doesn't matter so much anymore".

Everyone plays part of this thing you describe as a game - the part that is advantageous to them. What we have a responsibility to do - a legal one, if you don't believe in the moral aspect of it - is to pay our debt and our bills. Our credit is a representation of whether or not we do. It's not a "game". You are not entitled to any rewards (or set of rewards) for doing what you are legally responsible to do anyway. You may get some rewards anyway, because financial institutions want to attract the business of responsible borrowers. Likewise, the financial institution is not entitled to any special treatment from you than you paying what you borrowed. They may get some special treatments anyway, though, if you happen to like the rewards program, limit, or the issuing instituion of a certain credit product. But there is no obligation or entitlement to this special treatment.

Just as your legal responsibility ends at paying your debt, theirs ends at abiding by the terms that both parties agreed to when both parties signed that agreement. If you don't like those terms, you have an out. You can close the card. If they don't like the terms, they have an out, too. They can close your card.

@dapps06 wrote:

If more people did what I'm about to do, closed their accounts, guess what? Chase would abandon this practice in no time at all. As long as they have people making excuses for them they'll continue to act in this manner.

Well, evidently, not everyone feels as badly treated by Chase as you do. Evidently, most people find their practices acceptable to them given the benefits they get out of their cards. And it is not necessary that anyone feel the same way.

I didn't have A lender treat me favorably, I've had every single lender I've dealt with treat me favorably and reward my credit resurgence. THIS is the standard practice, to reward your customers if they show financial responsibility. 

Again, that other lenders treated you favorably puts no obligation on Chase in any way. If you had 10 credit cards, and all of them improved their benefit package and credit limits, and you only increased usage of 9 of them, the 10th one doesn't get to come to you and demand that you give them the same treatment as the other 9, since they too improved their benefits package and credit limits. And as others here have said, Chase does give better cards on better terms once your credit improves, though they may not improve the terms of existing cards.

@dapps06 wrote:

Chase appears to only be interested in credit if it's inadequate enough to qualify for favorable, from their position, terms. That's not how the credit game is designed, it completely defeats the purpose of the entire system. 

Oh come on. Everyone is interested in credit to the extent it is favorable to them. You, me, Chase, Amex. If you used your Amazon card out of a charity of goodwill for Chase, I wouldn't call that prudent. But I doubt you did. You used them because they were able to do something favorable to you - namely earn the cashback. And that is how the system (not the "game") is designed - everyone is free to participate in it to the extent that they play by a basic set of rules (e.g. don't commit fraud) and to the extent that it is favorable to them.

Message 17 of 24
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

That kind of business practice should disgust literally everyone.

...and it literally does not given their base of credit card consumers.  If you don't like how they handle things you are certainly free to close your Chase accounts.  That has already been stated many times in this thread.  However, plenty of others find a lot of benefit from their Chase cards and find them worth keeping.  You have to do whatever it is that works for you given your siutation, needs, preferences and priorities.  APR's and CLI's aren't such a concern for me with Chase but I apped for my 4 Chase cards when my profile was clean.

tl;dr It really doesn't matter what other creditors do.  Chase's policies are Chase's policies.  If you don't like them you are free to use creditors in line with your own preferences.

Message 18 of 24
taxi818
Super Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

...and it literally does not given their base of credit card consumers.  If you don't like how they handle things you are certainly free to close your Chase accounts.  That has already been stated many times in this thread.  However, plenty of others find a lot of benefit from their Chase cards and find them worth keeping.  You have to do whatever it is that works for you given your siutation, needs, preferences and priorities.  APR's and CLI's aren't such a concern for me with Chase but I apped for my 4 Chase cards when my profile was clean.

tl;dr It really doesn't matter what other creditors do.  Chase's policies are Chase's policies.  If you don't like them you are free to use creditors in line with your own preferences.

+1. I'm not disgusted. Don't know why Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@dapps06 wrote:

@I agree with @takeshi74...  This ^^^^^..

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.