Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI

tag
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

CLI

Would there ever be any reason at all for rejecting a CLI? I have a Belk card through GEMB with a current CL of $2,000. They are offering a $4,000 CLI. Can a CLI ever hurt your FICO scores especially with a store card?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: CLI

Nope, can't hurt your FICO's. It shouldn't hurt how lenders regard you, either.

The only potential danger, of course, is if you go bananas with it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Nope, can't hurt your FICO's. It shouldn't hurt how lenders regard you, either.

The only potential danger, of course, is if you go bananas with it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

Never in 10 lifetimes would I ever spend $6,000 at a clothing department store. I cannot imagine why they would even give me a CL like that. I think they are nuts.
Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, you could get some nice sets of wedding china! Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

A CLI won't hurt your FICO score, but I've heard that having too much available credit can hurt your chances for a mortgage.  I don't know if that's true or not, though.  I'll ask in the Mortgage Forum, as I am going to be looking for a mortgage soon and I have a whole lot of available credit.
Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Every once in a blue moon, a mortgage lender makes anxious noises about having quote-unquote, too much available credit. This is not terribly common, though.

The few posts I've read about this just state that the member called one or two of his/her CCC's and said that they needed to temporarily close a card because of a nutty mortgage lender, and that they would be re-opening it within days.

I'd be nervous as all get-out about this, and I'd want to have names of CSR's and of supervisors, both agreeing that they would do this, keeping the original history and all, plus an e-mail to this effect. And then I'd go have a nervous breakdown. History lost can't be regained.

I do believe that for those of us with more-than-adequate CL's ($100K something in my case) and almost-undetectable util, we can put up a brisk defense, showing reports going back for several years that demonstrate that we have always kept our balances under control. And if some lender kept nattering away about it, I'd fight back with my back against the wall. Plus, there are plenty of other lenders out there. Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, so after I posted this, I started looking in the mortgage forum for this and it seems like it's mostly BS.  Go for the CLI, but avoid hard INQs!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.