Did you mean: 

CLIs: Pros and Cons

tag
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Re: CLIs: Pros and Cons

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Many people on this board really seem into getting CLIs. I understand the UTL factor but are there any other pros and cons to getting a lot of CLIs?

The major advantage here is that people can put "$XXXXX in total CL"  in their sigs

Aren't we being catty this AM?? Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 54
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do think carefully before slashing credit limits voluntarily. Lenders looking at your report see the CLD and don't know that it was you who initiated it. It especially looks concerning when multiple accounts show this. Just a word of caution. Smiley Happy

Just out of curiousity, bc I am "new' to the credit game. What would prompt a lender to see it as a negative?  

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 12 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@irunfromcredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do think carefully before slashing credit limits voluntarily. Lenders looking at your report see the CLD and don't know that it was you who initiated it. It especially looks concerning when multiple accounts show this. Just a word of caution. Smiley Happy

Just out of curiousity, bc I am "new' to the credit game. What would prompt a lender to see it as a negative?  

An issuer can reduce CL as a way of reducing their perceived risk.   So another issuer might get concerned if they see several CLDs.   (Not sure this actually happens but if it did!)

Message 13 of 54
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

CLI's can serve the purpose of enabling you to strengthen and streamline your profile.

For example, I request CLI's on certain cards because I would like to build up the credit line of that specific card, all the while keeping my overall profile in mind and the fact that CLI's on certain cards enable me to close other cards as I'm not really losing anything, and in fact am bolstering the cards that serve me best. Smiley Happy

Also, CLI's enable to you streamline the number of cards you have. I'd rather have fewer cards with larger credit lines, and building up the credit lines of certain cards while closing others that no longer serve my purpose will assist in doing so. Smiley Happy

During our credit lives it's important to be flexible and realize that cards that once served us well may no longer do so at a point down the road. It's part of the journey.

+1000

This is my strategy. I'm closing the useless cards and bolstering the ones the serve me best! I already have a mortgage and get auto loans at will. My limits seem to not spook only the most conservative lenders. Who still in the end come back and try to offer me a product. Go figure? Lol

Message 14 of 54
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@irunfromcredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

An issuer can reduce CL as a way of reducing their perceived risk.   So another issuer might get concerned if they see several CLDs.   (Not sure this actually happens but if it did!)

Ahhhh!  Gotcha!  Well, I am not going to get my drawers in a bind if a lender perceives me as a risk or not.  Smiley Happy  I guess it's all personal preference. I guess I realized (probably too late) that I didn't need a large amount of credit.  Thanks for the clarification!

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 15 of 54
Journeygod
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Many people on this board really seem into getting CLIs. I understand the UTL factor but are there any other pros and cons to getting a lot of CLIs?

Bigger credit lines beget bigger credit lines.

Biggest card: British Airways $33,000

Total credit: $276,400

Util: 4%

(I gotta update my siggy!) -LOL

Message 16 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Each card in my wheelhouse serve a different purpose Chase Freedom is still my favorite card but I don't think the limit on it is bad (3.5k) because I don't charge more than six hundred bucks on it. Ebates is 7k, tempted to use it heavy for 3% on top of retailers but I wish my amex limit was my ebates, and so on. I have a 21 year relationship with Synchrony Bank and one year w/American Express so I can respect that. Use pizza1 philosophy and get increases on everything then close them to try to end on a high note so new creditors will see your limit that they were when they were closed at your request. The only bank that did not like my available credit compared to income was a credit union.
Message 17 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Each card in my wheelhouse serve a different purpose Chase Freedom is still my favorite card but I don't think the limit on it is bad (3.5k) because I don't charge more than six hundred bucks on it. Ebates is 7k, tempted to use it heavy for 3% on top of retailers but I wish my amex limit was my ebates, and so on. I have a 21 year relationship with Synchrony Bank and one year w/American Express so I can respect that. Use pizza1 philosophy and get increases on everything then close them to try to end on a high note so new creditors will see your limit that they were when they were closed at your request. The only bank that did not like my available credit compared to income was a credit union.

I sort of wished I had CLIed my Chase Amazon card (my lowest limit) before applying for cards, because my last two credit cards matched that of Amazon's (3K).  But you live and learn!  I got approved for 6 cards within the last 3 weeks so it would look incredibly bad (most likely) if I asked for CLIs any time soon. I am curious to see what Chase and Amex will do to me for opening that many accounts in such a short time... lol

Message 18 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I sort of wished I had CLIed my Chase Amazon card (my lowest limit) before applying for cards, because my last two credit cards matched that of Amazon's (3K).  But you live and learn!  I got approved for 6 cards within the last 3 weeks so it would look incredibly bad (most likely) if I asked for CLIs any time soon. I am curious to see what Chase and Amex will do to me for opening that many accounts in such a short time... lol

Don't beat yourself up for not trying for a CLI on Chase Amazon because it would have been a hard pull. 

Message 19 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Bigger credit lines beget bigger credit lines.

Biggest card: British Airways $33,000

Total credit: $276,400

Util: 4%

(I gotta update my siggy!) -LOL

Sometimes.   Many of us have had the experience of getting low CL cards after a series of high ones, particularly if the new card is from an issuer you already have.

Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.