cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?

Senior Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?

Can you possibley push a payment to your bank account say 10 days from statement date that way you have the monthly chg paid for before it posts

Message 11 of 22
Frequent Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?

The more and more I think about it the more I want to CLOSE the account!Smiley FrustratedI mean if they're willing to risk losing a great customer that can be very profitable to them ( especially around the holidaysSmiley Embarassed) than to humour me with even just a mere 300 increase to show i made some effort with them then fine!!Smiley TongueI'll take my cards that offer 5% cash back on gas, grocery and spend while their card goes into the shredder.

 

Wow, that vent felt kina good!Smiley Happy

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 29,500/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 10,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 12 of 22
Frequent Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?


lisamar81 wrote:

The more and more I think about it the more I want to CLOSE the account!Smiley FrustratedI mean if they're willing to risk losing a great customer that can be very profitable to them ( especially around the holidaysSmiley Embarassed) than to humour me with even just a mere 300 increase to show i made some effort with them then fine!!Smiley TongueI'll take my cards that offer 5% cash back on gas, grocery and spend while their card goes into the shredder.

 

Wow, that vent felt kina good!Smiley Happy


Okay, maybe I'll sleep on it first Smiley Wink The adrenaline of confidence wore off then my indecisive self took over and told me to think longer on it.  

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 29,500/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 10,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 13 of 22
Regular Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?

I had similar conversations with HSBC Sears MC CSRs.  My CL was stagnant at $300, one year they told me that they would be increasing limits over the next year and they could offer me 50% off the AF of $59.  I took it, one year later the CL is still 300 and I called when the AF came due.  I got the same speech!  "Sorry, I was told the same thing last year, close the account!"  They then lectured me on how it would hurt my credit score... **bleep**?  So I gave them an ultimatum, 3k CL or close the account.  They kept trying to not let me close the account.  Finally I told them I am done with them, close the account or I will report this to the proper regulatory agency.  "Sorry sir, I will close the account."  It felt good to get rid of that $300 card.

 

Let us know if Cap1 treats you any better when you call back Smiley Happy


Starting Score: 600ish in 2007
Highest Score to date: EQ 716 May 2012(lender pull)
Current Score: EQ 685 6-21-12 ; Walmart TU Fico 744 6-05-12
Goal Score: 801
Message 14 of 22
Frequent Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?


psychoinhell wrote:

I had similar conversations with HSBC Sears MC CSRs.  My CL was stagnant at $300, one year they told me that they would be increasing limits over the next year and they could offer me 50% off the AF of $59.  I took it, one year later the CL is still 300 and I called when the AF came due.  I got the same speech!  "Sorry, I was told the same thing last year, close the account!"  They then lectured me on how it would hurt my credit score... **bleep**?  So I gave them an ultimatum, 3k CL or close the account.  They kept trying to not let me close the account.  Finally I told them I am done with them, close the account or I will report this to the proper regulatory agency.  "Sorry sir, I will close the account."  It felt good to get rid of that $300 card.

 

Let us know if Cap1 treats you any better when you call back Smiley Happy


I will be calling them when I get off of work tomorrow and sleeping on it for tonight. I hate jumping quick without thinking on what kind of impact the fall might make. I will definitely keep everyone posted. I'll also be looking out for any responses from people that have been there and done that with capital one. I doubt threatening to cancel will get an increase I wanted, so letting them know I don't WANT them will feel nice. Smiley Happy

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 29,500/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 10,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 15 of 22
Established Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?

Just close it. It will not grow with you, so why worry with the hassle of the monthly fee? I guarantee if you forgot about paying this even one time there would be no goodwill gesture on their part, and your credit score would suffer for the next 7 years.

 

Even after closing, you will benefit from another 10 years of positive history reported. You should notice no issues secondary to closing this unless it increases your overall utilization.

 

Also, you already have prime cards with Chase and Discover - I say you're ready to make Cap One walk the plank... Smiley Tongue


Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 16 of 22
Regular Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?


TNTransplant wrote:

 I say you're ready to make Cap One walk the plank... Smiley Tongue


I like the sound of that!  Especially since Captain Morgan usually makes me walk the plank, I know how it feels Smiley Frustrated


Starting Score: 600ish in 2007
Highest Score to date: EQ 716 May 2012(lender pull)
Current Score: EQ 685 6-21-12 ; Walmart TU Fico 744 6-05-12
Goal Score: 801
Message 17 of 22
Valued Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?

I hate cards that charge a monthly "maintenance" or "service fee".  And on top of that, you're not using it.  I would say to close it.  It will still continue to report for you.  ONLY thing you lose is the lovely credit limit it offers you.  I say keep cards if there's no AF. 

 

I've had a Target card since 2009 with a $200 limit that NEVER moves.  ONLY reason it's still open is that there is no AF or other charges.  Every now and then I go use it and save 5%.  I say every card has it's time and serves it's purpose.  If you're not using it and they won't waive the fees, what is it's purpose? 


CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 18 of 22
Moderator

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?


psychoinhell wrote:

Cap1 is nailing you monthly?  I thought that was Orchard that did that?  I have two Cap1 cards and can attest at what a pain they can be.  They do not seem to want to grow with you.  You are over 700, so....  Call them up and ask for an upgrade from a senior credit analysis, if they refuse tell them you want to close the card.  It maybe your oldest card, but even when you close it the account will still stay on your credit for up to ten years and continue to age.  My oldest account is a car loan I paid off 6 or 7 years ago and it says my oldest is 11 years and X months old.    So closing the account will affect your AAoA, about 10 years from now.


Orchard (at least current cards) is just an AF like most others.  FP and CreditOne have monthly fees.  

 

To the OP: you could ask to be swapped to a card that has an AF instead of the monthly one as well, I'm not certain when Cap One issued montly fee cards but AFAIK they've stopped that (as it makes tons more financial sense for subprime lenders to hit you with the AF right up front...)

 

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 741, EX 2 776, EQ 8 809, TU 8 774, EX 8 822 (1/1/18)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 771, TU 4 750, EX 2 776, EQ 8 809, TU 8 774, EX 8 822 (01/01/19)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 22
Frequent Contributor

Re: CLOSE MY SECOND OLDEST TRADELINE? PULL TRIGGER?

Dont think twice and close the capital1 asap.Open a prime card. With your score you could get a good prime credit card with 8000 limit


COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 20 of 22