Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLOSING DATE AND DUE DATE QUESTION ABOUT AMEX ZINC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLOSING DATE AND DUE DATE QUESTION ABOUT AMEX ZINC

How is the due date of a payment decided. i have the amex zinc and my statement closes on the 11 th of the month and my payment is due on the 23rd of the same month. is there anything  in the new credit laws that addresses how long after your closing date your payment is due? this just seems like a very short time frame to me. are the rules different for charge cards as opposed to revolving credit cards? thanks in advance  for all replys.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: CLOSING DATE AND DUE DATE QUESTION ABOUT AMEX ZINC

Yes the payment time is shorter because they expect the payment to be PIF since it's a charge card. The only grace period is the time frame from the closing date and the due date. I asked AMEX CSR a similiar question, they said if the payment is not recieved by the due date then they will freeze the account. I could be wrong.. Only explaining what I was told.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hmmm, 12 days doesn't seem all that bad, especially if you do online payments, although it is a bit short-ish, I guess. We used to have a sticky up here with the Credit Card ACT provisions, but I can't find it now. (Old news and all.)

One spooky thing that AmEx told me when I got my Gold was that the due date was just a suggestion, and that as long as I paid by the next statement date, I'd be fine. Needless to say, I ignored that one.

I just checked the last six months of my Blue (revolving, not charge) statements, but since I never had balances post, I can't find a due date to see what's typical for the revolvers.

Any Zync members here? When are your statement dates, and when are your due dates? How about any revolvers?

eta: TheCreditKid beat me to it while I was trying to find an old due date. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 12
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Hmmm, 12 days doesn't seem all that bad, especially if you do online payments, although it is a bit short-ish, I guess. We used to have a sticky up here with the Credit Card ACT provisions, but I can't find it now. (Old news and all.)

One spooky thing that AmEx told me when I got my Gold was that the due date was just a suggestion, and that as long as I paid by the next statement date, I'd be fine. Needless to say, I ignored that one.

I just checked the last six months of my Blue (revolving, not charge) statements, but since I never had balances post, I can't find a due date to see what's typical for the revolvers.

Any Zync members here? When are your statement dates, and when are your due dates? How about any revolvers?

eta: TheCreditKid beat me to it while I was trying to find an old due date. Smiley Tongue

Zync member here, the due date seems to be pretty short to me. What I was told that the due date is actually longer than 12 days, the 12 days is actually the suggested date. I asked them " what happened if I don't pay by the suggested date?" CSR response " Then we will have to freeze the account until the payment is actually made by the due date". Yeah its confusing( I'm confused too) or the CSR can be wrong. To make my life easier, I just make an online payment when the statement closes.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Alexander Dumas
Message 4 of 12
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

It appears that Amex provides much more time for revolving vs charge products:

Blue (Me)

Closing Date: August 28
Payment Due: September 22
Days: 25

Zync (Wife)
Closing Date: September 20
Payment Due: October 5
Days: 15

Though, I wonder if Amex provides longer grace periods for people with better credit profiles.

Message 5 of 12
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

All grace period should be equal. The grace period for charge card I believe is actually longer but what you see online is the suggested date so it seems shorter.

@stan_the_man wrote:

It appears that Amex provides much more time for revolving vs charge products:

Blue (Me)
Zync (Wife)

Blue (Me)

Zync (Wife)

Though, I wonder if Amex provides longer grace periods for people with better credit profiles.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

The new law states that  "Statements must be mailed at least 21 days ahead of when they are due."   So I don't see how they can legally have the due date so close to the statement date. 

The fact that they call it a charge card does not change anything.    It is still a credit card that is due in full each month.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My statement cut on the 20th and my due date was going to be on the 5th.  I paid in full before my statement cut so when I receive my statement it had no due date on it.  I had called CS about the due date when I read about the same topic in this forum.

Message 8 of 12
jnydc
Contributor

Things charged on the closing date will be on the current statement or the next statement?  For instance mine is the 17th, will things I carge reflect on the bill to be paid 2 weeks after or, the next bill?

2009 Credit Portfolio: First Premier 450, Orchard Bank 400

2012 Credit Portfolio: AMEX; Gold, Zync, & Clear 5k
Citi Platinum Select 2k, Home Depot Store (Citi) 4k, Discover More 10k, Barclays Apple 2k, Cap 1 (secured) 2.5k
Message 9 of 12
Xercien
Valued Member

Zync

Statement - 8th

Due - 23rd

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TU - 663 Fico (04/03/11)
EQ - 654 Fico (04/03/11)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.