Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COLLEGE STUDENT CC QUESTION

tag
blondie_keen
New Contributor

COLLEGE STUDENT CC QUESTION

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I kinda need to know so if you could humor me that would be super! haha

I'm a college student but I only have a year left and have been told that the easiest card to get would be ones specifically for college students. My question is, what happens to the card when I graduate? Does it stay a "college card" for as long as I keep it open? I've been told that it's easier to obtain one of these cards and I should look into getting a second CC but what are your thoughts??

Also, once I graduate, can that CC be transferred to a non-college type of card within the company??

Thanks guys!!

ps. should i just wait a bit longer to get my FICO scores higher and go with a regular CC?

right now myFICO equifax is 592 but i expect it to go up within a few days...

MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Re: COLLEGE STUDENT CC QUESTION

Generally speaking, the only difference between the regular consumer version of a particular credit card and the student version will be the credit limit, APR, and perhaps some other terms. Also, depending on which company you get the credit card from will determine whether or not they will let you "upgrade" or do a product change on your student card.

For instance, my roommate for this year had a BofA Student Visa which gave him no rewards whatsoever. After about a year, he tried calling BofA to have it converted to a Rewards card. He was denied numerous times and told that if he wanted a non-student regular consumer version rewards card, he would have to submit a new application.

Citibank on the other hand (and to the best of my knowledge) makes very little (if any) distinction between student cards and the regular consumer version. I originally applied for the Citi Student Driver's Edge card to start my credit history as it was one of my first credit cards. That card started out at a typical 18.99% APR for student cards and a typical limit of $1200 for a student version of the card. However, as I demonstrated my creditworthiness and kept paying my bills on time, that line was constantly increased to what is now over $17k today (only two years later) and I have a pretty decent APR of 8.9%. I also do recall one night when I called Citibank to see if I could convert my student card to the regular consumer version, and was informed that they made no distinction between the Student and regular consumer versions; apparently it only makes a difference in initial approval, credit line, and APR.

Of course, things may have changed now given the current credit climate so this may be a bit of outdated info, but thought you might like to know.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
blondie_keen
New Contributor

thanks for the great info! very informative. is it difficult to get approved by CITI though? should i wait until i approve my credit to apply do you think?
MAY 2009 FICO SCORES

EQ 639
TU 647
Message 3 of 5
JayBeast
New Contributor

My first credit card was the Citi Platinum Select Student Visa.   I'm not sure what my score was at the time, but the only other credit I had at the time was my student loan.  Since I was still in school, I was wasn't making any payments on the loan and I just turned 18 when I applied.  As long as you don't have any baddies on your history I would go for it.

Once I graduated the "Student" label came off of it (and it changed to the Platinum Select MC), the APR was reducted and my CL increased dramatically.  All was well until I messed up my credit.  However, Citi has also been the most helpful with my rebuilding plans as they were the first and most generous in their terms when setting up a repayment plan.  According to their CSR, they will re-open my account with its 11 year history once I'm paid off and the rest of my credit is OK.

Edited for additional clarity.

Message Edited by JayBeast on 11-22-2008 01:26 PM
Message 4 of 5
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

In regards to getting approved with Citi, I can only speak from personal experience. It is also important to keep in mind, given the currect credit crunch, that they most likely tightened their approval standards.

Citi approved me for my first two credit cards shortly after I had turned 18 and with only one student loan reporting for less than 6 months, so I had no credit score when I was approved. (At the time my initial applications were for the Platinum Select and the Driver's Edge cards.)

Given that you have a credit history and that score, I'm not sure if Citi would approve. That would be dependent on the reasons why your score is such, what types of baddies, reasons for high util, etc. Perhaps one of the experts here could chime in on that matter.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.