cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR Freeze Stopping current creditors from pulling a hard.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CR Freeze Stopping current creditors from pulling a hard.

@DI wrote:

Sometime on a whim, I'd apply for a credit card that I do not need.  Having the freeze on my reports helped  fight my addiction submitting applications.  For example, I applied for a Pay Pal card just because they teasing it when I logged in.  The next day, I regretted it.  But fortunately they were not able to pull my report due to the freeze and no new inquiry occured. 

This was my main reason for putting a freeze on my reports also cause I couldn't control myself to stop applying for new credit. Now if it also stops a hard for asking for a CLI so be it.

Message 31 of 44
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I might add that freezing your credit report does not prevent all hard INQs.

The US Attorney (civil or criminal) can make a hard pull at any time as can a child support agency.  These INQs are traditionally hard and whether or not your CR is frozen is irrelevant.

Since I don't have kids, I would submit that your statement is similarly irrelevant.  Just sayin.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The US Attorney (civil or criminal) can make a hard pull at any time as can a child support agency.  These INQs are traditionally hard and whether or not your CR is frozen is irrelevant.

Since I don't have kids, I would submit that your statement is similarly irrelevant.  Just sayin.

Your parents have kids.  It could effect your lunch money.  Just sayin.

Message 33 of 44
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My parents don't apply for new credit.  Thus no new inquries.  They also do not support me, thus no inquiry from any child support agency.

What was that about grasping for straws?  What?

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 34 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My parents don't apply for new credit.  Thus no new inquries.  They also do not support me, thus no inquiry from any child support agency.

What was that about grasping for straws?  What?

If you are looking for a forum where nobody posts anything that isn't directly relevant to your personal situation, you might just stay with Sesame Street Forum.  Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a friendly reminder to keep things friendly, and respectful Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 44
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

I just went to one of those "soft pull cc prequalification" sites I've used in the past and this time it could not find me since I have a freeze on all three--

It could not even effect a SOFT pull with the freeze on.

I also requested a CLI from Citi 2 weeks ago, after the freeze was established and got a letter back saying they couldn't do it because my account was frozen and advising me they needed access to it in order to evaluate my request for CLI.  So no CLI hard pull from Citi with a credit freeze in place.

So while there would appear to be a few, odd or unusual times when a hard pull could be accomplished without a person's consent, they are exactly that:  odd or unusual. 

I agree that the ability to freeze one's credit report represents a significant amount of control for consumers, especially in the age we live in today.

• A prospective assignee of a financial obligation that is reviewing your account for maintenance, monitoring, increasing credit lines, account upgrades and enhancements and collecting the financial obligation would more than likely be a soft as well; unless a collection activity, that would be hard.
  • State or local agency, law enforcement, trial court, Child Support Agencies or a private collection agency acting on a court order, warrant or subpoena even IF hard, not germane to the discussion here.  This thread is about Credit Cards.
  • Uses falling under FCRA Section 608 - Disclosures to Governmental Agencies even IF hard, not germane to the discussion here.
  • Uses falling under FCRA Section 625 - Disclosure to FBI for Counterintelligence purposes even IF hard, not germane to the discussion here.
  • FCRA defined prescreening  Promotional and always soft
  • Any person or entity for the purpose of administering a credit file monitoring subscription service to which the consumer has subscribed providing a consumer with a copy of his or her credit report upon the consumer's request  Always soft pulls
  • Any person or entity for the purpose of providing a consumer with a copy of his or her credit report upon the consumer's request  always soft
  • All other exemptions as allowed by the state where you currently reside.

[Edited (a 2nd time) to resubmit the previously removed text & reference the source of the posted content with this link to: Transunion Security Freeze. <-- I think I mean everything I just said. Smiley Surprised

Just a friendly FYI-- Please use either a link, or cite the original source of quoted content from other (allowable) websites so that we don't, unintentionally, violate their copyright. Smiley Happy ~ LilMirth]

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JRomulus wrote:

I just went to one of those "soft pull cc prequalification" sites I've used in the past and this time it could not find me since I have a freeze on all three--

It could not even effect a SOFT pull with the freeze on.

I also requested a CLI from Citi 2 weeks ago, after the freeze was established and got a letter back saying they couldn't do it because my account was frozen and advising me they needed access to it in order to evaluate my request for CLI.  So no CLI hard pull from Citi with a credit freeze in place.

So while there would appear to be a few, odd or unusual times when a hard pull could be accomplished without a person's consent, they are exactly that:  odd or unusual. 

I agree that the ability to freeze one's credit report represents a significant amount of control for consumers, especially in the age we live in today.

Edited to replace the content posted with this link to the referenced information: Transunion Security Freeze

Just a friendly FYI-- Please use either a link, or cite the original source of quoted content from other (allowable) websites so that we don't, unintentionally, violate their copyright. Smiley Happy ~ LilMirth

Freezes are great.  They help maintain application discipline at $10 a pop for unfreezing.

I did try the HSBC pre-qualifier and it did show a soft on my CR though.  I noticed that it takes a few days to show up -- just like USAA's do.

Message 38 of 44
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

The purpose of freezing your CRs is meant to be a tool for protection from identity theft, not ducking hard inqs.

No.

The purpose of freezing your credit reports is to prevent companies from running your credit the hard way (i.e. with negative impact) that you don't want running the report.  Seems to me that's exactly what others, and I, have done.  Identity theft is only one aspect of it.

In your world, I suppose it's perfectly fine that literally ANY company can **bleep** up your credit with one negative tradeline added, and consumers should just break out the K-Y.

I freeze my reports for many reasons.  I froze Experian because they effectively blocked me from my FICO score. It was the best decision I ever made, as it's now got NO inquiries showing, no BK, and the remaining derogs which I don't recognize are being disputed.  If they don't delete them, it will be frozen again for another two years.

Now, I've got Transunion frozen to allow some of the excess inquiries fall off.  Meanwhile companies are free to pull Equifax which is clean and accurate.

The freeze is the most pro-consumer feature of the bureaus.  It allows me to strategically steer potential banking agencies to the "right" bureau to help them make the proper decisions.  Companies like Amex who refuse to run anything else, no Vaseline for them.

But they can't do that in the first place. A company that you don't already do business with can't hard your report without PP. If they do you can dispute the inq and have it removed. All I'm reading in this thread is people freezing their CRs so companies that DO have PP can't pull, such as when they apped for a new card or requested a CLI from a company that hards for customer-requested CLIs, such as Chase.

Freezing your CR to avoid a justified hard pull that you initiated is a dishonest misuse of a tool meant expressly for indentity theft protection, IMHO.

Message 39 of 44
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Bull. If you honestly think companies are so honest about the reason they're running reports you're naive. And no, bureaus do NOT dispute inquiries anymore. They tell you to call the creditor. "Permissible purpose" is not validated with a signature or proof of app. It is an electronic request that is honored. I have worked in credit processing AND for a bureau. You have no clue how often faulty inquiries are done.
Credit Cards:
Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.