Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR fraud alert?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

CR fraud alert?

Two month ago, when I applied for NFCU CC, they called me and told me that there's a fraud alert on my CR. So they need my ID and utility bill, ect. 

I think that the reason may be  that there are five inquiries within three days on my TU, which is pulled by NFCU. Another interesting thing is that CU seem to be more interested in these identity verification process, demanding ID/Utility, etc. While the major banks like Chase/Citi/Amex/US Bank.. rarely ask people to fax in these documents as far as I know.Smiley Surprised

Anyone familiar with this?

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CR fraud alert?

They are probably seeing the FA on EQ first and then pull TU as a backup. And then suspecting ID theft and to protect themselves, they are asking for more info.

Message 2 of 10
Smug
Established Contributor

Most new apps call me on the FA phone number i have listed
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 3 of 10
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

They are probably seeing the FA on EQ first and then pull TU as a backup. And then suspecting ID theft and to protect themselves, they are asking for more info.

I just checked my three burea report again, NFCU only pulled my TU for membership and CC app. 

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 4 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If there is an FA on EQ, there would be no way for NFCU to pull that report. There wouldn't be any inquiry.

Message 5 of 10
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

If there is an FA on EQ, there would be no way for NFCU to pull that report. There wouldn't be any inquiry.

Do you what result in the FA in EQ and how can I remove it? Thank you.

Message 6 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

contact the bureaus directly to have the fraud alert removed, or at least have them update your phone number on it.

Most banks will not process your app until they can manually verify your identity if there is a fraud alert.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@w20031424 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Do you mean what caused the FA? Aside from manually placing it, it can also come about by disputing accounts as "not mine" and/or disputing inquiries. 

Message 8 of 10
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@w20031424 wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Do you mean what caused the FA? Aside from manually placing it, it can also come about by disputing accounts as "not mine" and/or disputing inquiries. 

Hm.. That's weried. I didn't dispute anything in any of my CR yet.

Message 9 of 10
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Typically the CRA will put the alert on themselves if you dispute regularly, such as accounts or inquires... If you haven't disputed anything though, that certainly is odd. It's possible that if you disputed a charge on one of your credit cards and they changed the account number that the CRA picked it up and put a short term alert on. They put a 7 years alert on mine that I'm still trying to get off. It's annoying having to double verify every application.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.