Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA reporting for limit above $50k

tag
Bobbyjohnson
New Contributor

CRA reporting for limit above $50k

I have a Cap1 venture with a $50k limit (it was a $50k line at approval, not via combining).  The card has been reporting to all 3 CRAs since I got it last year.  

I can combine the limit with another Cap1 card to make the new limit $55k.

Do limits "greater than" $50k stop the CRA reporting? Anyone have any experience with this?

I'd like it to be a hidden TL.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Re: CRA reporting for limit above $50k

Haha if that was the case everyone would swipe their 50K+ cards and throw it out the window since they won't report to CRAs anyways.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Bobbyjohnson wrote:

I have a Cap1 venture with a $50k limit (it was a $50k line at approval, not via combining).  The card has been reporting to all 3 CRAs since I got it last year.  

Do limits "greater than" $50k stop the CRA reporting? Anyone have any experience with this?

Sorry OP, it doesn't work that way.  It's not a peek-a-boo scenario just for going above the $50K threshold.  I have two Capital One CCs (both approved at $50K) + others and they report to all CRAs.  My understanding is the utilization is typically not factored in the FICO algorithms once certain revolving tradelines reach $50K or above (someone can  correct me if interpretaion is incorrect).  However, this does not make them non-reportable (or "hidden") tradelines.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Bobbyjohnson wrote:

Sorry OP, it doesn't work that way.  It's not a peek-a-boo scenario just for going above the $50K threshold.  I have two Capital One CCs (both approved at $50K) + others and they report to all CRAs.  My understanding is the utilization is typically not factored in the FICO algorithms once certain revolving tradelines reach $50K or above (someone can  correct me if interpretaion is incorrect).  However, this does not make them non-reportable (or "hidden") tradelines.

Agreed.  Mine also reports and there is not such thing as a hidden tradeline with Capital One.  Even the business cards get reported on personal...

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So a 50k consumer tradeline, its balances do not factor into util?

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Bobbyjohnson wrote:

Agreed.  Mine also reports and there is not such thing as a hidden tradeline with Capital One.  Even the business cards get reported on personal...

Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Kostya1992 wrote:

Haha if that was the case everyone would swipe their 50K+ cards and throw it out the window since they won't report to CRAs anyways.

What does that mean?

Message 6 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So a 50k consumer tradeline, its balances do not factor into util?

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Bobbyjohnson wrote:

My understanding is there are some versions of FICO that exclude individual card limits over $50K. 

For instance, FICO 04 (EX and EQ) does not factor balances or limits into revolving utilization for any revolving credit card limit (reporting) of $50K and above. But, I believe FICO 08 (e.g. TU) factors $50K limits and balances into revolving utilization. I have not tested some of my >$50K limit cards by allowing a balance to report to see whether this would be the case.

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Kostya1992 wrote:

What does that mean?

I wondered the same thing but I'm not entirely sure.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kostya1992 wrote:

The bank still knows who owns this card and would take usual routes to go after one who does not pay their credit obligation(s).

Message 9 of 11
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Here is an older thread that talks about high limit cards not being used for utilization. I remember reading others with more details, but I can't find them right now. How high the limit has to be before it is not counted for utilization varies by CRA and FICO Model

. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/High-CLs-gt-40K-or-so-don-t-factor-into-u...

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.