Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT CARD INTEREST INCREASE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CREDIT CARD INTEREST INCREASE

HELP!

ALL OF MY CREDIT CARD RATES ARE INCREASING DRASTICALLY, AND i WANT TO CALL THEM TO CLOSE MY ACCTS AND PAY OFF

BALANCES AT MY CURRENT RATE. 

IM WORRIED HOW THIS WILL AFFECT MY FICO.  ANY ADVICE?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CREDIT CARD INTEREST INCREASE

First, don't type in all CAP's ,,, Just teasing ...   Yes closing the cards while carrying and paying off the balance will result in a FICO hit, How many cards are you talking about?  What are your credit limits and balances on the cards,

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

HELP!

ALL OF MY CREDIT CARD RATES ARE INCREASING DRASTICALLY, AND i WANT TO CALL THEM TO CLOSE MY ACCTS AND PAY OFF

BALANCES AT MY CURRENT RATE. 

I am with Justin - Stop typing in CAPS is the first step.. lol

Secondly - We need more information than - "my rate is going up, I am going to close my cards and pay at current rate". What cards? How Many? Balances and CL's? Whats the current rate and how much is it going to etc etc

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok well I have two Wells Fargo accts.  One with $7200. which is currently 18.4% and from what I can understand in the letter I received, going to 21.15%, (but the letter is confusing to me)  Minimum payment is $227.00.

The other one if $5900. interest is currently 16.4% going to (I think) 22%. Minimum payment is $148.00.

HSBC - $3400. minimum payment of $84.00. interest rate 17.9% going to 20 something?

I can't afford to pay any more monthly.  I'm willing to call them but what do I say?

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Don't close them, unless that's the only way you can pay them off. If your back is against the wall, I'd pick one to keep open, probably the one with the highest CL.

I wouldn't think that the minimums are going up that much with 3% ~ 6% APR increases. Can you squeeze anything out of your budget? There's usually some wiggle room in the grocery column.

Otherwise, see if you can pick up a part-time shift, even if it's only at the local burger joint. If you're having trouble making minimums on three cards, it sounds like you're spread awfully thin. That's pretty scary, because it means that you're fresh meat and easy pickings for your creditors.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.