cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT CARDS THAT WILL CLOSE YOUR CARD IF SCORE DROPS SIGNIFICATELY!!

tag
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

CREDIT CARDS THAT WILL CLOSE YOUR CARD IF SCORE DROPS SIGNIFICATELY!!

THis year hasnt been the greatest. My score was in 680 in june and my husband lost his job in april and we couldnt keep up with some bills. So Im at 545 now. We have a 120 late for a mortgage. And a 90 day late on a car payment. My husband has a job now but we had to move out of state. We have a high utilization the fico simulater says if we pay 90% of credit card we would be back in the 700s. The credit cards I have is American Express Blue 3000cl:2990 balance , CITIBANK1000cl:993 balance, Jcpenney 2000 cl 1700 balance, Macy doesnt have cl but card has balance of 2500, Home depot 1200cl and 1100 balance , Banana Replublic 900cl 125 balance, Kays 7500cl:0 balance  and best buy 2200cl and 800 balance. I havent gotten a credit decrease yet or a card closure. But I was just wonder if any one have experience in my situation? I have a few old baddies one from victoria secret a charge off from 05 that drops off next month. Also Asset acceptance is on report which is associate with the victoria secret account which say it suppose to drop off in march 2012 but I would think it would drop off the same time as victoria secret. Also a repo from 2005 thats suppose to drop off in march 2012 and a collection from a utilities bill thats paid that the people wont remove even with gw letter thats suppose to drop off feb2012.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Smug
Established Contributor

Re: CREDIT CARDS THAT WILL CLOSE YOUR CARD IF SCORE DROPS SIGNIFICATELY!!

Wow you have all your cards ran up, each will check and then decide, you truly never know.
good luck....
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 2 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

For me, AMEX closed, CIti did not.  Was PIF for both, but behind in other large balance cards.

Message 3 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@elaine829 wrote:

THis year hasnt been the greatest. My score was in 680 in june and my husband lost his job in april and we couldnt keep up with some bills. So Im at 545 now. We have a 120 late for a mortgage. And a 90 day late on a car payment. My husband has a job now but we had to move out of state. We have a high utilization the fico simulater says if we pay 90% of credit card we would be back in the 700s. The credit cards I have is American Express Blue 3000cl:2990 balance , CITIBANK1000cl:993 balance, Jcpenney 2000 cl 1700 balance, Macy doesnt have cl but card has balance of 2500, Home depot 1200cl and 1100 balance , Banana Replublic 900cl 125 balance, Kays 7500cl:0 balance  and best buy 2200cl and 800 balance. I havent gotten a credit decrease yet or a card closure. But I was just wonder if any one have experience in my situation? I have a few old baddies one from victoria secret a charge off from 05 that drops off next month. Also Asset acceptance is on report which is associate with the victoria secret account which say it suppose to drop off in march 2012 but I would think it would drop off the same time as victoria secret. Also a repo from 2005 thats suppose to drop off in march 2012 and a collection from a utilities bill thats paid that the people wont remove even with gw letter thats suppose to drop off feb2012.

Please don't misunderstand what I am about to write, as I am writing it out of concern for your situation rather than judging you (we've all been in financial trouble before)...and as always, this is just my assessment based on personal experience, so YMMV...

My bigger concern than whether any of the above lenders will reflexively close or CLD would be the inevitable call you will likely receive asking why you ran up 70% util on store cards that more or less sell clothes and home improvement items in addition to a $2,500 debt at Macy's. Most credit card companies (save maybe AMEX) would understand if they saw a higher-than-usual util on regular credit cards and heard that you were simply going through a difficult time and needed to charge and pay down gradually to buy household items and food. What they won't understand is why you would roll up over $6,000 in debt on those store cards when money was in such short supply.

My suggestion would be to prepare for any calls you will receive from lenders like AMEX and Citi asking about the high balances. When you explain why you have run up your balances, prepare for the grilling about the store cards. I speak from experience here, as I received a call like that from Discover back in 1999 and basically threw myself on the mercy of the court. I explained (again, this is MY experience..not necessarily yours) that I had simply been lax with charging and needed to pay back my balances over time. They understood, but gave me a lecture about money management and keeping good credit standing (sigh, I was 22 at the time!).

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 4 of 8
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

I admit I have been lax in my credit card use. I have cut up all my store credit cards and are paying down my credit cards now. It was stupid.But hopefully I can pay down my credit cards without too much of a big effect from american express or citi. If not when I get back up to 700 again I will be ok.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex has cut my limit, boa has cut my limit, citi has cut my limit, national city has cut my limit (not since turning to pnc), discover has cut my limit, a cu closed a card.

i've recently been approved for walmart and barclay's though.

my utilization was good, but after the wave of cld's my uti skyrocketed and scores dropped 60 points. it's not the end of the world, eventually the balances will go down and the cards i will be the ones that showed me loyalty and i'll ask for increases on aged accounts when the scores rebound.

hang in there! we've had a few life events as well, but working 2 jobs has helped me keep treading water.

Message 6 of 8
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

I think you have to seriously worry about it every time a creditor doesn an account review.  Places like Macy's seem to do it every month or two to me, others seem to never do it.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 7 of 8
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure because of the way you phrased it, are you still 120+ behind on the mortgage and 90+ on the car, or are you saying you are current now and just have those on your report? That is secured debt and should trump all unsecured CC payments so you don't get get your house foreclosed / car repo'd. Forgive me if I understood you wrong.

I totally get that life events happen to people - when things happen it's time to go into damage control mode and prioritize which debts need to be attacked first. House, car, anything else secured, then work on loans and CCs based on highest interest rates.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.