Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP 2X Credit Limit charging ability

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

CSP 2X Credit Limit charging ability

I've read multiple places that becase the CSP is a Visa Siggy you can charge 2x the credit limit as long as it is PIF the balance above the credit line, is this still correct?

Has anyone here actually used this feature?

I understand it would kill the utilization and I won't plan on going above the credit line just wanted to verify

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: CSP 2X Credit Limit charging ability

@ryanbush wrote:

I've read multiple places that becase the CSP is a Visa Siggy you can charge 2x the credit limit as long as it is PIF the balance above the credit line, is this still correct?

Has anyone here actually used this feature?

I understand it would kill the utilization and I won't plan on going above the credit line just wanted to verify

I'm not sure about a full 2x, it's a little like Amex but not even close at the same time!  They have an internal guideline of what you can charge over current limit (not sure if you can call and ask) but yes you would have to pay the full amount over the credit line plus the normal payment.

My experience has only been with Nordstrom Signature and a Chase Southwest and both of these experiences dated around the 2006 nordstrom and 2008 chase.

I was able to go over credit line by about $1k and then my payment was the $1k plus the $300ish normal payment and I paid just over the minimum... fast forward a couple months and I was not able to charge ANYTHING above CL.  They don't want to see you take a high limit card and go above that and then only show the ability to pay a little bit on the debt before going over... now reverse that and someone PIF or paying like 50% on the balance within CL plus the overage and you might find a little higher charging ability over current CL.... I have never really liked the idea of Signature... If I'm qualified to charge $15k but my limit is $10k... Why don't you just make my limit $15k!!!!

Message 2 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The 2x credit limit is by no means guaranteed. The only cards chase guarantees aover limit spending for a certain amount is on the JPM select and palladium which are 2x and 3x your limit respectively.
Message 3 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I have a World Mastercard with Chase, which is supposed to have the same ability, and it would not let me charge even $1 over the limit.

Message 4 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
The 2x credit limit is by no means guaranteed. The only cards chase guarantees aover limit spending for a certain amount is on the JPM select and palladium which are 2x and 3x your limit respectively.

ok thanks, for some reason I had in my head that the CSP also have the 2x limit

Like I mentioned before I don't plan on going over the limit, just wanted to know what my spending power was!

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 10
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I had a chase sw visa signature with 5 k limit and an $8700 tuition bill. called ahead, they authorized, went through no problem. just fyi.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

When in doubt it's usually best to call in ahead of time. I put a 30k charge through last month and paid it within 24 hours with no issues. I just called ahead to make sure it would go through. If I didn't call, I'm skeptical as to whether or not it would have been approved.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Wow, that's a huge charge....  thanks for the advise on calling, I just didn't know if there was a standard policy like on the palladium or select card

Message 8 of 10
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

I was just approved for a u.s. bank travel rewards visa sig. When I logged onto my account for the first time the available credit field had a "-" in it. I didn't know what this was since all of my other signature/world cards had the flex limit but still show credit limit on the account page. I received an email back basically saying that my credit limit was 12k but I was allowed to charge an additional 12k over that but it would be due when statement cut. So in my case the 2x credit limit was quite literal.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

Wow, that's a huge charge....  thanks for the advise on calling, I just didn't know if there was a standard policy like on the palladium or select card

That's insurance for you. It seems to vary from lender to lender with regards to Visa Signature products, but the safe bet is always to call in. The JPM cards are in their own category with clearly published rules about it, but I think they're the only ones that I've seen like that.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.