Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP CLI?

tag
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

CSP CLI?

I posted a message the other day about applying for a Chase Sapphire Preferred & getting the 30 day message.  After some persuasion from here I went ahead & called them & found out that was approved for $5k.  (I think I might have squealed a little when the rep told me.  loL)  Other than getting an AMEX (which I managed to do back in Oct.) this has been one of my main goals since I started my credit rebuilding last year.  

Here's my question...   What are my odds/chances of getting a CLI & when?  I certainly don't want to push my luck with them.  I don't suppose I "need" more than $5k, it's just that I would like more just for utilization purposes.  Should I wait 2 months?  6 months?  Should I just use it often & PIF and hope for an auto CLI or should I give it a little time & call an ask for one?

Thanks for any advice!

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
red259
Super Contributor

Re: CSP CLI?

@joeyoey wrote:

I posted a message the other day about applying for a Chase Sapphire Preferred & getting the 30 day message.  After some persuasion from here I went ahead & called them & found out that was approved for $5k.  (I think I might have squealed a little when the rep told me.  loL)  Other than getting an AMEX (which I managed to do back in Oct.) this has been one of my main goals since I started my credit rebuilding last year.  

Here's my question...   What are my odds/chances of getting a CLI & when?  I certainly don't want to push my luck with them.  I don't suppose I "need" more than $5k, it's just that I would like more just for utilization purposes.  Should I wait 2 months?  6 months?  Should I just use it often & PIF and hope for an auto CLI or should I give it a little time & call an ask for one?

Thanks for any advice!

Chase is going to require a HP for a CLI, unless its an auto cli which is not super common. You would likely need to wait six months to have a chance at a CLI. I wouldn't go for a CLI with chase. Instead I would app for another card then you can combine credit lines later on. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 7
bigbang91
Established Contributor

With Chase, i think you need to show usage and sometimes let's the statement reports a balance and then PIF after. After 6 months, if chase isnt giving you auto love, then go ahead and request aCLi

Message 3 of 7
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Chase is going to require a HP for a CLI, unless its an auto cli which is not super common. You would likely need to wait six months to have a chance at a CLI. I wouldn't go for a CLI with chase. Instead I would app for another card then you can combine credit lines later on. 

I've heard this mentioned before but I'm not 100% sure what this means.  Do I open another card to combine the limits & then just not use one &/or close it??

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 4 of 7
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@joeyoey wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I've heard this mentioned before but I'm not 100% sure what this means.  Do I open another card to combine the limits & then just not use one &/or close it??

its very simple. Open another chase card (get the sign up bonus) probably keep the card for just under a year before the AF hits (if there is one) then ask to have the limit moved to the card you want to keep and close the other card. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 5 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Be careful with doing that sort of thing repeatedly, especially with Chase, and note you can only get the bonus every 24 months, not every year, so if you close/reopen every year you won't get it again. But it doesn't sound like that is what you are going for anyway. With regards to CLI, the only good way to get one with Chase is to just open a new account which sucks, to me, because you are dinging your AAOA constantly to increase a limit on a card where they should just offer you a CLI. Even if you request a CLI with Chase, it's a HP and usually is NOT a significant increase.

This is why I am less than impressed with them. I know I keep repeating myself, but growing with you is not one of their strong points. My opinion is just be happy with your $5k CSP and don't expect it to move without having to open a new account (adding inq and dinging AAOA) or requesting CLI (adding inq). Neither option is desireable IMO, I'd rather work with a lender who will at least reasonably grow along with me as opposed to forcing me to choose between two evils to improve my account.

Message 6 of 7
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

I was thrilled upon approval for CSP and never took my chances with a CLI for quite a while; almost 18 months. At that point, HP all the way but it was approved. It's worth the HP is you need it. But you have to figure out whether your score will drop more with an HP and higher overall CL or without it and a higher utilization.

On a side note, my friend has had 3 auto CLIs with them in less than two years.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.