cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP, Chase Freedom, CapOne Venture, British Airways Visa chances?

tag
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Re: CSP, Chase Freedom, CapOne Venture, British Airways Visa chances?

@totalrequest wrote:

Hey Jenn!

I meant to respond to your previous post but totally forgot, my apologies. Yes, when approved in the future (super optimistic, I know) for the CSP I plan on keeping it and not down-grading to its counterpart. I'd definitely be in it for the long haul as I'll eventually want to make it my primary card for daily purchases. What does "PCing" mean by the way? Sorry about this, it means product change (changing CC's). As in going from a CSP to a Sapphire or Freedom. As well as AoAA? AAoA is Average Age of Accounts.

I'd say I spent about $800-$1000 monthly on things like food, entertainment, auto loan, etc. Are you able to pay your auto loan with your CC without a penalty/extra charge? If not, you should look into Bluebird so you can be paying it with your CC without penalty.

I plan on using all my points entirely for travel and nothing else. If I was obtain a Freedom card, and eventually a CSP, I am aware that I can transfer points between the two. I'll take your advice by paying off my PayPal Extras Mastercard, albeit it is a small balance, and keeping the balance on my Bank of Guam Delta Skymiles Visa to around $50-$100 to minimize my utilization ratio. In a few months, I'm thinking June (too early?) , I'll apply for the Chase Freedom. I believe that this will depend on your credit score at the time. Remember my utilization trick each month and your score should be strong enough by then, but everything's all relative, or we like to say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

To answer your previous question, I bank with Bank of Guam, my employer. I don't have a deposit account with any large bank such as Chase or BoA. Would you recommend maybe transferring some money and opening an account with Chase? If you are looking to go the Freedom-CSP route, you should definitely look into getting a Chase bank account. If you have a Chase checking account and a Chase Freedom, you will get a 10% annual bonus at the end of the year on all purchases. I would wait until you apply for the Freedom and then just go into a branch and say you'd like to open a checking account and when they sit you down, they will probably ask you about a CC and you can do it all on the spot at once.

And no worries about not responding, no one has to take anyone's advice! Have a great day!

Message 21 of 45
totalrequest
Established Member

@jenn_bar wrote:

@totalrequest wrote:

Hey Jenn!

I meant to respond to your previous post but totally forgot, my apologies. Yes, when approved in the future (super optimistic, I know) for the CSP I plan on keeping it and not down-grading to its counterpart. I'd definitely be in it for the long haul as I'll eventually want to make it my primary card for daily purchases. What does "PCing" mean by the way? Sorry about this, it means product change (changing CC's). As in going from a CSP to a Sapphire or Freedom. As well as AoAA? AAoA is Average Age of Accounts.

I'd say I spent about $800-$1000 monthly on things like food, entertainment, auto loan, etc. Are you able to pay your auto loan with your CC without a penalty/extra charge? If not, you should look into Bluebird so you can be paying it with your CC without penalty.

I plan on using all my points entirely for travel and nothing else. If I was obtain a Freedom card, and eventually a CSP, I am aware that I can transfer points between the two. I'll take your advice by paying off my PayPal Extras Mastercard, albeit it is a small balance, and keeping the balance on my Bank of Guam Delta Skymiles Visa to around $50-$100 to minimize my utilization ratio. In a few months, I'm thinking June (too early?) , I'll apply for the Chase Freedom. I believe that this will depend on your credit score at the time. Remember my utilization trick each month and your score should be strong enough by then, but everything's all relative, or we like to say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

To answer your previous question, I bank with Bank of Guam, my employer. I don't have a deposit account with any large bank such as Chase or BoA. Would you recommend maybe transferring some money and opening an account with Chase? If you are looking to go the Freedom-CSP route, you should definitely look into getting a Chase bank account. If you have a Chase checking account and a Chase Freedom, you will get a 10% annual bonus at the end of the year on all purchases. I would wait until you apply for the Freedom and then just go into a branch and say you'd like to open a checking account and when they sit you down, they will probably ask you about a CC and you can do it all on the spot at once.

And no worries about not responding, no one has to take anyone's advice! Have a great day!

Yes, I pay my auto loan with my Visa CC which I've had since September 2012 and no I do not occur any penalties using my credit card so I think I'll pass on the Bluebird. Secondly, I won't be able to go into a Chase branch because we do not have any Chase branches on Guam. I am however able to open a savings/checking account online.

I think I will garden for a few months and then apply for the Freedom before I travel again this August. I'll come back to this forum then to update everyone on my status Smiley Happy

EQ: 675 (Bank of Guam, 10/2013)
TU: 752 (GECRB, 01/2014)
EX:732 (Chase, 01/2014)

Chase Freedom 3k | Bank of Guam Delta SkyMiles Visa 1.5k | PayPal Extras MC 1k
Message 22 of 45
jaraico
Regular Contributor

you dont need 700 scores for freedom. i have a 670-680 score when approved. 

you have a good standing installment loan

steady job

and two good standing revolvers. i think you have a strong case for freedom even if you have to recon

then csp you could obtain just later this year after 6 months. 

but if you have the patience that so many of us cc addicts lack than more power to ya!

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 23 of 45
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1

In my estimation, OP is already eligible for approval with Freedom.  In fact, OP is the target demographic. Smiley Happy

If Freedom is the goal, I think you'd be good to app already.  Good luck with your CSP pursuits.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 24 of 45
totalrequest
Established Member

@improvingmycredit wrote:

+1

In my estimation, OP is already eligible for approval with Freedom.  In fact, OP is the target demographic. Smiley Happy

If Freedom is the goal, I think you'd be good to app already.  Good luck with your CSP pursuits.

Thank you for your optimism Smiley Happy

I think I'll apply tomorrow when I have time but one last fact: my oldest card, my BOG Visa, is about 1 year and 4 months old while my PayPal Extras MC is 10 months old... should I still apply or too soon?

Message 25 of 45
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Greetings and Welcome to the forums totalrequest!

From the info you've provided, I don't believe you'd be approved for the CSP... I think income, overall credit profile and credit experience would keep you from getting this card now.  I think it's a great goal card for you though.  My recommendation would be the PRG.  No annual fee 1st year, 25K point bonus for 2K spend over 3 mos, less stringent approval requirements and can be PC'd to less expensive card after first year.  I think this might be a good card for you because you can earn extra points for travel for everyday spend.  Gas-Groceries ect...  It's a good travel card backed by Amex.  If and when you can better afford the AF, you can PC it back to the PRG no prob.  After your profile grows- get the CSP.  Never hurts to develop a relationship with Amex early on even if you don't keep the PRG.  Just my thoughts. 

I agree.. this or Freedom.

Message 26 of 45
titanofold
Established Contributor

And, just because I haven't seen it in this thread yet, Chase will want to see an existing CC with at least a $5,000 CL before they'll approve you for a CSP. Several people in this community with otherwise pristine CRs have been denied for this reason.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 27 of 45
jaraico
Regular Contributor

even if you have to recon i really think you can get your freedom

good luck! 

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 28 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

And, just because I haven't seen it in this thread yet, Chase will want to see an existing CC with at least a $5,000 CL before they'll approve you for a CSP. Several people in this community with otherwise pristine CRs have been denied for this reason.

ANd haven't many here got it without?   This seems more a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

Message 29 of 45
totalrequest
Established Member

Hello everybody,

So, being the impaitient person that I am, I decided to give it a go and apply for the Chase Freedom card.

No instant approval, not surprised, but here is what I got:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you for applying. Your application requires further review before making a decision.

Here's what you can expect:

• Our goal is to notify you in writing within 10 days; however, in some circumstances it may take up to 30 days.
  • If you are approved, you will receive your card and other important information in the mail.
  • Please do not resubmit this application.

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - 

Should I NOT wait for a adverse action or approval in the mail and instead call to follow up? If so, does anybody know the number I can call? OH, and should I call first thing Monday or give it a day or two and call on Tuesday?

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.