cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP + Freedom + Checking. Use wisely.

tag
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Re: CSP + Freedom + Checking. Use wisely.

Ok I'm very sorry but I read the first post about 3 times and I am stilla bit confused. So if I'm understanding correctly, to maxmize rewards/points, for the restaurant and travel categories under $10 I would use the freedom, and anything over $10 in these 2 categories I use the CSP, this correct?

So what card do I use if I make a purchase in a different category? For instance $50 at Walmart, which card do I put it on..? Or does this technique only apply to these 2 categories to maximize rewards?

Sorry for the confusion. Thank you.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 61 of 113
FrugalRican
Blogger

Anything else goes on the Freedom.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 62 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

We've had the Chase checking for years, and have greatly enjoyed the Chase UR debit card (and still do!), the debit card currently has a promotion where you get 100 points for every $10 spent at the Dollar Tree (my husband's favorite store). Smiley Happy  

We are really anxious for the day when we can qualify for the Freedom and Sapphire Preferred, even if that's about 2 years away! Hopefully, all these good deals and promotions will still be around then. 

This is one of the best rewards deals I've ever read about.

Message 63 of 113
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

i really wish Chase would open some branches in my area.....

Message 64 of 113
FrugalRican
Blogger

As of the last week or so, every card has taken a severe backseat to my Freedom.

The Groceries cashback has been in heavy rotation for me.

I buy a coffee regularly from Wawa, so as of the last 8 days or so, I have about 16 transactions between a whole bunch of things.

16 transactions = 160 points, just for having those transactions.

Fascinating.

And going to hit the movies tomorrow with the Freedom, actually gonna use it for the 5% cashback as well there too.

BCE has practically been SD'ed. Not too happy about that, but I feel that as a low spender, the Freedom benefits me the most.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 65 of 113
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Has anyone been able to activate this without going into a branch? I just opened an account but the closest branch is about three or four hours away.

Message 66 of 113
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I love the versatility of the UR program.  If you have the CSP card you can transfer points to any of their travel partners (United, Southwest, Marriott, British Airways, etc.).  So if you need a little bump to get a free flight or a night stay at one of the partner hotels, you can transfer points to one of those programs (you must be a member first of course).  I travel quite a bit during the year so this is a great benefit.

PLUS!!  I just have to say this again... The Sapphire CSRs are the BEST!  They are so helpful and so polite.  They are definitely trying to give American Express a run for their money.  (I love AmEx too by the way) Smiley Very Happy

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 67 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was looking into this combo, but I was curious does any other card come close to this? Would an AMEX gold/AMEX SPG beat this? Or what about if you ran everything through a Capital1 Venture? Or the last one I could think of would be the Citi thank you give this a combo a run for its money?
Message 68 of 113
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We've had the Chase checking for years, and have greatly enjoyed the Chase UR debit card (and still do!), the debit card currently has a promotion where you get 100 points for every $10 spent at the Dollar Tree (my husband's favorite store). Smiley Happy  

We are really anxious for the day when we can qualify for the Freedom and Sapphire Preferred, even if that's about 2 years away! Hopefully, all these good deals and promotions will still be around then. 

This is one of the best rewards deals I've ever read about.

I thought the ended the debit program

Message 69 of 113
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was looking into this combo, but I was curious does any other card come close to this? Would an AMEX gold/AMEX SPG beat this? Or what about if you ran everything through a Capital1 Venture? Or the last one I could think of would be the Citi thank you give this a combo a run for its money?

I don't think anyone can touch the Chase trifecta for small purchases. You can buy a $1 soda and essentially get 11.1x points.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 70 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.