cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP + Freedom + Checking. Use wisely.

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Re: CSP + Freedom + Checking. Use wisely.

Kind of a stupid question, but how do you get the 10 points per transaction with the Chase Freedom? Do you need to have CSP as well? I have Chase Checking, and plan on getting a Freedom in the next 4-6 months, but won't be getting a CSP anytime soon (Unless they make a new CSP with no annual fee, I'm a college student, I don't travel).

Message 71 of 113
bribro
Valued Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

Kind of a stupid question, but how do you get the 10 points per transaction with the Chase Freedom? Do you need to have CSP as well? I have Chase Checking, and plan on getting a Freedom in the next 4-6 months, but won't be getting a CSP anytime soon (Unless they make a new CSP with no annual fee, I'm a college student, I don't travel).

You get the 10 points per transaction plus 10% in bonus points as long as your Freedom card is linked to a Chase checking account (make sure Chase activates the 10 & 10 program). So, if you buy something for $20, you get 20 points for the $20 spent, plus another 10 points fixed, plus another 2 points from the 10% bonus, giving you a total of 32 points on a $20 purchase.

You do not need CSP for the 10 & 10 program. CSP complements 10 & 10 because of 1:1 airline partner transfer feature and the 2x points on restaurants and travel.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 72 of 113
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We've had the Chase checking for years, and have greatly enjoyed the Chase UR debit card (and still do!), the debit card currently has a promotion where you get 100 points for every $10 spent at the Dollar Tree (my husband's favorite store). Smiley Happy  

We are really anxious for the day when we can qualify for the Freedom and Sapphire Preferred, even if that's about 2 years away! Hopefully, all these good deals and promotions will still be around then. 

This is one of the best rewards deals I've ever read about.

I thought the ended the debit program

Chase has ended debit rewards for the following programs: Ultimate rewards*, Continental Arlines and United rewards, Disney rewards, and Real Cash rewards. These programs were discontinued due to the federal regulation called The Durbin Amendment. The Amendment basically limited how much banks can charge merchants for transaction fees, thus Chase could not afford to keep extending the program. So sad for consumers, it was a great program. I had the continental rewards, in a year and 3 months, I racked up 65K+ miles enough for a international round trip! (I had a 25K sign up bonus, and roommates that remitted the utility bills through me)

*A lucky few customers, usually with larger balances (Chase is a relationship bank, more you keep here, more they give back) were able to keep their Ultimate rewards debit card program. Most people were refunded a prorated amount.

@ avigatethis12 You should be able to activate your 5% promo on Chase.com.

@Everybody else; I'm glad this thread was a big hit, I spent about 2 hours doing the math and writing and rewriting it so that it was easy to understand.

@Mods: This thread.. Sticky worthy?

Message 73 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SamsungHDTV wrote:

john398 wrote:  I thought they ended the debit program

A lucky few customers, usually with larger balances (Chase is a relationship bank, more you keep here, more they give back) were able to keep their Ultimate rewards debit card program. Most people were refunded a prorated amount.

Yes, we still have our Ultimate Rewards and they are still sending us notices from time to time of places to use our debit card to get more points. 

Message 74 of 113
NewSurrender
Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@NewSurrender wrote:

You get the 10 points per transaction plus 10% in bonus points as long as your Freedom card is linked to a Chase checking account (make sure Chase activates the 10 & 10 program). So, if you buy something for $20, you get 20 points for the $20 spent, plus another 10 points fixed, plus another 2 points from the 10% bonus, giving you a total of 32 points on a $20 purchase.

You do not need CSP for the 10 & 10 program. CSP complements 10 & 10 because of 1:1 airline partner transfer feature and the 2x points on restaurants and travel.

Heh, that's pretty awesome. So basically, once I get my Freedom, there's no point in using other cards for everyday purchases (Currently using a combination of Capital One Journey [1.25%] and BoA 123 [1.10%]), right?

Message 75 of 113
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if you do a lot of larger purchases or spend a lot of money do the other options I listed give this trifecta a run for it's money?
Message 76 of 113
bribro
Valued Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@NewSurrender wrote:

Heh, that's pretty awesome. So basically, once I get my Freedom, there's no point in using other cards for everyday purchases (Currently using a combination of Capital One Journey [1.25%] and BoA 123 [1.10%]), right?

For smaller purchases, correct. Anything over $66.67 (the breakeven point) should go on your 1.25% Capital One Card.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 77 of 113
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So if you do a lot of larger purchases or spend a lot of money do the other options I listed give this trifecta a run for it's money?

It obviously depends. Anything with a cashback rate over 1.1% will be more advantageous than your Freedom card at some point. I don't know enough about Citi TY or AMEX Gold/AMEX SPG to make a direct comparison. All you have to do is run the math: 10 + 1.1x = [cashback rate]x. Solve for x.

BTW, if you do get the Chase trifecta, you should only choose the CSP for purchases in the 2x categories (travel & restaurants) over $9.62 (the breakeven point). Everything else goes on Freedom.

Message 78 of 113
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@NewSurrender wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@NewSurrender wrote:

For smaller purchases, correct. Anything over $66.67 (the breakeven point) should go on your 1.25% Capital One Card.

Correct only if you take CSP out of the picture.

Put CSP back in the picture, being able to transfer to a participating arlines make the value goes up. This is why I would put it on Freedom regardless of amount. I plan to use all my points on international travel which makes arlines miles worth more than domestic.

@ JHav So it depends if you have just Freedom + Checking or CSP too. If it's only Freedom plus checking then other cards will catch up on larger purchases. Take the above example for instance.

Message 79 of 113
greeneman21
Contributor

Great thread, just got my first statement with the Freedom/checking combo, I noticed the 10/10 isn't listed. Does it take 1-2 billing cycles for it to kick in?

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 80 of 113
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.