Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP-Freedom Combo

tag
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

CSP-Freedom Combo

I could see many of the people mention that CSP-Freedom combo is one the best to have. Can any of you let me know why the combo is best? I know that  Freedom provides you rotating cashbacks like Discover. How come it is going to be more effective when clubbed with CSP? 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: CSP-Freedom Combo

@Beckhsrules wrote:

I could see many of the people mention that CSP-Freedom combo is one the best to have. Can any of you let me know why the combo is best? I know that  Freedom provides you rotating cashbacks like Discover. How come it is going to be more effective when clubbed with CSP? 

It is really well overvalued here, but basically the URs earned by the Freedom can be transferred to the CSP, and then transferred to travel partners.  So if you value UR at about 2c each, you are getting 10% on the 5x purchases with the Freedom.  (And if you just had the Freedom, these would be worth only 5% as cashback, and if you just had the CSP you would be getting 2% on these purchases).

I'm saying it is overvalued because of the caps.  If you max out all quarters, you get an extra 30K UR, which while not nothing, isn't going to make magic happen.

Message 2 of 16
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Beckhsrules wrote:

It is really well overvalued here, but basically the URs earned by the Freedom can be transferred to the CSP, and then transferred to travel partners.  So if you value UR at about 2c each, you are getting 10% on the 5x purchases with the Freedom.  (And if you just had the Freedom, these would be worth only 5% as cashback, and if you just had the CSP you would be getting 2% on these purchases).

I'm saying it is overvalued because of the caps.  If you max out all quarters, you get an extra 30K UR, which while not nothing, isn't going to make magic happen.

Plus no bag and boarding perks.

Message 3 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right, the value of this combo stems from the days when the Freedom conferred 10 points per transaction when associated with a checking, and having a CSP to confer full UR privileges.

The 5X cap on $1,500 means the maximum benefit is $75 per quarter.  Not bad, but certainly not compelling enough to tout it as "best ever" or get overly excited, especially when compared to sign-up bonuses and various other methods for accelerated points harvesting.

Message 4 of 16
noobody
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right, the value of this combo stems from the days when the Freedom conferred 10 points per transaction when associated with a checking, and having a CSP to confer full UR privileges.

The 5X cap on $1,500 means the maximum benefit is $75 per quarter.  Not bad, but certainly not compelling enough to tout it as "best ever" or get overly excited, especially when compared to sign-up bonuses and various other methods for accelerated points harvesting.

If you redeem UR points to cash, you are doing chase a big favor, it is the worst possible way to redeem UR points

I have 2 freedom cards, IF I could max 5X out every quarter, i would get 60K UR points, almost a one way business class ticket to Asia on UA (need 70K for business, 80K for 1st class)

if you redeem UR points for cash, just cancel you CSP after 1st year, take the bonus and run, as it it not worth to you.  

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 5 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

If you redeem UR points to cash, you are doing chase a big favor, it is the worst possible way to redeem UR points

I have 2 freedom cards, IF I could max 5X out every quarter, i would get 60K UR points, almost a one way business class ticket to Asia on UA (need 70K for business, 80K for 1st class)

if you redeem UR points for cash, just cancel you CSP after 1st year, take the bonus and run, as it it not worth to you.  

I used 1 cpp as a relative value since most people I suspect do redeem UR points for cash.  For comparisons sake, it's simpler to leave out the variable value each point may be redeemed for, such as BA for AA redemptions, Hyatts, UA, SW etc...

Message 6 of 16
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Freedom has a $200 sign up bonus,and CSP has a $400 sign up bonus (if used for cash back).

$600 makes them the best combo for me Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 16
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

Cool. So Freedom actually gives me 5X points for the rotating categories which I can redeem for cash if I am not wrong from what I understood from the above conversations. And the sign up bonus is one catchy way to have the cards I agree Smiley Happy 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, it is a 5x card up to spend of $1,500 per quarter.  As others have said, redeeming for cash is the least valuable way of using them, but if you want cash, you can.

Message 9 of 16
Yankeefan
Valued Member

Search Chase Trifecta, there are additional bonus points and swipe points available if you have Chase checking, Freedom and CSP.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.