cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP+ Freedom vs. PRG + ED (or Preferred)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSP+ Freedom vs. PRG + ED (or Preferred)

Chase (Freedom+CSP) and AMEX (EDP + PRG) is probably what I'll wind up with since each card with each company has similar rewards.  Between the two combos it would be stupid easy to rack up points. I think I would prefer it to a SM card which offers smaller caps and little in the way of other benefits, especially when it comes to AMEX and the CSP. 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Simply put, I'd like people to share their experience with each combo. And how either one worked best for their situation. I've seen some comparable forum topics, but nothing as specific as what I'm looking for.

Instead of collecting experiences you need to determine which suits you best.  Look at the MR and UR prorgrams and determine which one you can leverage the most value per point from.  Specifically, look at redemptions.  These are not one-size-fits-all matters and you can't use popularity to determine the best fit for you.  You need to do your own due diligence.  If you need assistance in doing so we can certainly help.

I have done due diligence, but I was curious of how people have maximized point value. I understand both programs have different transfer partners, and that MR and UR points can vary dramatically in value depending on how you redeem them. I was more so just curious if someone had an interesting and possibly unexpected experience to share regarding either program. What people share will not be the end all be all determinant in which route I chose. I guess I should have worded this better in my OP. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Biggest problems with EDP+PRG combo are: 2 annual fees

@Anonymous wrote:

CSP+EDP gives the best coverage if you're willing to pay the dual annual fee.

Don't just look at AF's. Run the numbers for your spend and consider total cost/benefit.

I've run the numbers for the most part, and that is how I come up with the conclusion that I cannot spread my spend across two cards that require an equal amount of spending to maximize value. No point in using CSP+Freedom, and occasionally using PRG (and keeping it open with AF) if I end up breaking even on the AF. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it worth just getting 50k MR PRG offer and ED to house the MR credits then and close out PRG before AF? Then I'd stick with the CSP+Freedom combo. My girlfriend and I eat out a lot, and fly relatively decent amounts each year, so CSP seems worthly. 

Worth is highly subjective regardless of topic.  Again, run the numbers for your spend and look at redemptions.  Point value can vary quite a bit depending on how you redeem.

I wasn't being absolute in my statement of worth. I think it could/is in fact worth it. I was asking in the sense of if you intend on cancelling PRG before AF, is that hassle worth it as far as credit impact and churning a card with AMEX? 

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase (Freedom+CSP) and AMEX (EDP + PRG) is probably what I'll wind up with since each card with each company has similar rewards.  Between the two combos it would be stupid easy to rack up points. I think I would prefer it to a SM card which offers smaller caps and little in the way of other benefits, especially when it comes to AMEX and the CSP. 

You must have the spend for both of those combos. I find an issue with the categories for maximizing points overlapping, which will only dilute your spend between MR and UR instead of maximize in one type of point. 

Message 13 of 15
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You must have the spend for both of those combos. I find an issue with the categories for maximizing points overlapping, which will only dilute your spend between MR and UR instead of maximize in one type of point. 

I have held all four cards. Still have freedom and I have downgraded to CS (can still transfer via my ink card). I cancelled PRG after first year and have the ED.

You can't judge the value of travel cards based on what someone else says. It comes down to how you like to travel, what hubs you are near, where you want to travel to and your spend patterns to name a few factors. That being said I find CSP/Freedom better, since I use the points to redeem at Hyatt properties. Amex points I only find useful for airfare. Also Amex MRs are kinda limited to me for which airlines I wish to redeem with them. I'm thinking about using them for a signapore airlines trip in combination with my TYPs from citi. If I didn't want to stay at hyatt then I would use my chase points towards airfare. United devaled so its not what it once was and its no AA, but it can still work. I find the csp/freedom combo a bit easier to earn points with. I love the everyday card, but the PRG is not really a good card beyond the first year for most people. You really need to look at your spend and see if if the return on the PRG offsets the AF. In most cases I suspect it does not. The everyday card is decent without an AF and can stand on its own for the most part. The pref version makes sense for people who spend enough in the categories and have 30 swipes. Again you need to do the math to see if your spend would offset the AF. For some it will for many others it will not. Those with heavy grocery spend and lots of swipes it can make sense to pay the AF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

PRG is on the maybe list. EDP is more definite. The big draw for me would probably be stuff like AMEX offers and exclusives to members. Chase is great, I'm super happy with them, but it'd be nice to have 4 cards on two main rewards systems that would be useful for me. AMEX and Chase are the big two.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.