Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP Holders - International Travel Experience

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

CSP Holders - International Travel Experience

Hello My Fellow CSP Cardholders!

I've traveling to Europe in a few months and would like to know has anyone had difficulty using their CSP card abroad? This is my only travel card and I did not plan to app for any cards this year. I'm concerned because is does not have EMV technology which is supposed to be widely accepted abroad.

Thx!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: CSP Holders - International Travel Experience

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I've traveling to Europe in a few months and would like to know has anyone had difficulty using their CSP card abroad? This is my only travel card and I did not plan to app for any cards this year. I'm concerned because is does not have EMV technology which is supposed to be widely accepted abroad.

Thx!

In "most" places, you will be fine.    Problem spots are things like unmanned kiosks (train tickets, toll booth, gas stations) which might require chip&pin (chip & sig isn't enough).   Some cashiers might not be familiar with swipe cards, and there have been a few reports of registers where swipe slots do not exist.

But in touristy areas, and in most areas, you should be ok

Message 2 of 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Most card terminals in Europe are set up for dual read  that means chip and magnetic stripe. Acceptance at unmanned terminals depend on card issuer and merchant. While Cap1 works with magnetic stripe and pin my Barclays Arrival gets rejected with magnetic stripe and pin (both have no chip) Discover and Amex even get processed without pin at certain unmanned locations which is a real security issue Smiley Sad  (no signature and no pin but simply enter the card that's it) 

Merchants that have a lot of international customers have dual processing terminals. European merchants that do not deal with international customers like grocery deliery, courier services, etc have mobile card readers and these are chip readers only. So you should be fine as a "tourist" but if you intend to live in Europe for a while then a card with a chip is mandatory.

Have a nice trip Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
pats23
Contributor

I went to Europe 2 weeks ago I can honestly say I would have been in trouble without chip n pin. Unfortunately my CSP was near useless. I visited Sweden conpenhagen Munich Rome Paris London Amsterdam zurich if that helps you in any way. Maybe I was unaware of the dual terminals. But definitely chip n pin seemed almost necessary

$4000----------- $5000------------$15000-------------$3500-------------NPSL----------$2500------------$5000----------$10000--------$5000
Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Which chip&pin card did you use?

Message 5 of 9
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@pats23 wrote:
I went to Europe 2 weeks ago I can honestly say I would have been in trouble without chip n pin. Unfortunately my CSP was near useless. I visited Sweden conpenhagen Munich Rome Paris London Amsterdam zurich if that helps you in any way. Maybe I was unaware of the dual terminals. But definitely chip n pin seemed almost necessary

I go to Europe most years and have never has a problem with my person or business cards, neither of which have a chip

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 9
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Depends on where you are going. Many places have dual chip and swipe. If you have concern, ask them before going in places of business.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 7 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@WhiteCollar wrote:

Thx!

In "most" places, you will be fine.    Problem spots are things like unmanned kiosks (train tickets, toll booth, gas stations) which might require chip&pin (chip & sig isn't enough).   Some cashiers might not be familiar with swipe cards, and there have been a few reports of registers where swipe slots do not exist.

But in touristy areas, and in most areas, you should be ok

+1. This about sums it up. I've rarely come across a situation where I absolutely needed a chip.

In many ways I see it similar to Lounge Club/Priority Pass. Most of the time I'll use the lounge of the airline I'm flying on, but on rare occasions I'll need something different. It's good to have "just in case", but definitely not mandatory.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 9
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Good to know having chip & pin is not critical....whew! Thanks all!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.